Klamath Basin Research & Extension Center (KBREC) Mission: A trusted resource for research and education working cooperatively with the communities of Klamath County resulting in healthy people, economies and environments.
Hours: Monday - Thursday 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM and Fridays 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
IN THE NEWS:
Master Gardener Applications:
2017 Master Gardnerer Applications are now available.
OSU Klamath Basin Research & Extension Center along with KCC Culinary Arts Dept are hosting three Blue Zone Cooking Classes in February. Each Class will give tips on preparing plant based foods and feature 2-3 recipes from "The Blue Zone Solution" book of different Blue Zone regions including Greece, Italy and Costa Rica. Cost is $12 per class please call the office at 541-883-7131 for more information. Click for more information
Gardening Workshop Lecture Series!! Click for more information
Master Food Preservation Course, this 40-hour course trains and certifies participants in home food preservation: Freezing, Drying, Canning, Pickling, Nutrition and Food Safety/Storage. Classes are taught by OSU faculty and experienced volunteers. The purpose of the training is to increase skills and knowledge of food safety, preserving food, nutrition and to develop skills for teachng others. All classes include food labs or hands-on activities that allow participants to apply what they have learned Click here for application
For Preserve @ Home syllabus please click here
KBREC celebrates 77 years of Research and 100 years of Extension with Ed Ray, Oregon State University President.
Living with Fire
Click here for the The Next Step in Wildfire Preparedness Publication - EM9116
Oregon State University's Forestry and Natural Resources (FNR) Extension Program would like to know: How we can best serve our audiences and communities? We would like to capture information in a variety of areas: who you are, how well our current programs and offerings are, what sort of programming is lacking, and how best to supprt and meet your needs through educational programming. Please take a few monents to complete this survey.
As Westerners, we live with fire. It's a fact of life, dominating our summer news diet, interrupting our vacations, and threatening our homes, lives and livelihoods. But lately it seems wildfires have been in the news too much.
OFRI has just released State of Fire, a special report and video exploring some disturbing trends: longer fire seasons, uncharacteristically severe fires and soaring costs. Both are available at OregonForests.org.
WHY SHOULD I EVACUATE?
During a wildfire emergency safety of lives is the first and most important objective of firefighting. If you, your family, and neighbors are in a safe place when a wildland fire gets close, the main goal of firefighting is accomplished. Click here for more information from our newest addition to the KBREC staff Daniel Leavell - Forestry Agent. If you have questions for Daniel this a a Forestry Clientele Service Form you can complete and email.
Extension Publications - The Oregon State University Extension Service produces educational materials to help people across Oregon. Their catalog contains more than 1,200 items including publications, books, videos, and other educational media.
- Klamath Lake Forest Health Management Guide - This Forest Health Management Guide has been prepared to encourage woodland owners to think in terms of forest health and watershed improvement as they manage their woodlands.
Plant Hardiness Zone Lookup Tool - Use the Arbor Day online tool to check your Hardiness Zone for your trees, vegatables and ornamental plants.
- ScholarsArchive at Oregon State University > Extension & Experiment Station Communications - ScholarsArchive@OSU is Oregon State University's digital service for gathering, indexing, making available and storing the scholarly work of the Oregon State University community. It also includes materials from outside the institution in support of the university's land, sun, sea and space grant missions and other research interests.
- www.eXtension.org - Objective, research-based, and credible information you can use every day to improve your life. Brought to you by experts from the nation's largest and oldest network of universities.
- Grow Your Own Food and Preserve It For Later
- Klamath-Lake Counties Food Bank - (541) 882-1223