Alexzandra Murphy, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Scholar - Entomology
Email Alex or 541-567-6337 x105
I am a native of Hermiston Oregon and am currently working on the economic threshold for the beet leafhoppers in potatoes in the Columbia Basin. Beet leafhoppers vector a phytoplasma, known as beet leafhopper-transmitted virescence agent (BLTVA) that causes purple top disease in potatoes.
Areas of Expertise: Resistance management, integrated pest management, mating behavior, taxonomy of Collembola
Ph.D. - 2011 - Entomology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
B.S. - 2006 - Entomology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Honors and Awards:
- Outstanding Doctoral Student Award, Department of Entomology, Purdue University: 2010.
- Outstanding Service by a Student Award, Department of Entomology, Purdue University: 2009
- Kenneth and Barbara Starks Plant Resistance to Insects Graduate Student Research Award, Entomological Society of America: 2009
- Ohio Valley Entomological Association, 1st Place, PhD category: 2008
- Student Participation/Activity Award, Entomological Society of America: 2008
- Ohio Valley Entomological Association, Honorable Mention, PhD category: 2007
- Student Participation/Activity Award, Entomological Society of America: 2007
- Clara H. Waldo and E.A. Cummings Outstanding Student Award, Oregon State University: 2006
- Drucilla Shepard Smith Award, Oregon State University: 2003-2006
- Oregon Scholar Award: 2002
Hometown: Hermiston, OR