Graduate Student Travel Award
Objective: Graduate student travel to conferences is essential for the professional development of our students. The University also benefits by being represented at such events. The travel funds from this program are designed to provide graduate students with financial support to cover part of the cost of attending and presenting their scholarly achievements at prestigious conferences and venues.
Award Details: Awards are intended to cover up to half of the full cost of attending a conference (air and or ground transportation, hotel, meals, and meeting registration). Approximately 10 awards will be made per quarter. The maximum award will be $500 for domestic travel and $1,000 for international travel. The department or program should indicate the % of the travel expenses that will be covered by the department/program or other sources. Applicants supported on grants, fellowships, or other means that identify funds specifically for student travel should indicate the % of the travel costs that will be paid from the grant or fellowship funds.
Eligibility: Awards will be made to students who are enrolled as a full-time graduate student at OSU at the time of the conference, or in the case of a conference occurring between the end of spring term and the beginning of fall term, the student must be returning to full time enrollment in fall term. Domestic and international students are eligible.
- February 1 for travel between March 1 and July 31,
- May 1 for travel between June 1 and October 31,
- August 1 for travel between September 1 and January 31, and
- November 1 for travel between December 1 and April 30 of the following year. An application may be submitted before a notice of acceptance has been received from the conference organizer, but an award will not be made until the notification has been received.
Applications: Directors of graduate programs (department chairs/heads, program directors) may submit one application per deadline per graduate program. Applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com. The current cover page (Revised April 19, 2013) must be the first page of the application. The application must be a single pdf document containing the cover page and all six of the additional application materials. The subject line of the email should be Graduate Student Travel Awards using the following file name convention: GradTravel_deadline month and year_grad major_student's last name (e.g. GradTravel_Feb2013_Physics_Smith).
Selection: A committee set up by the Graduate School will select awardees based on
- funds available,
- completeness of the application,
- the strength of the student's statement of the reason for attending,
- the student's stage in the degree program,
- reasonableness of the budget and attempts at economizing,
- the strength of the student's CV,
- stature of conference (major professor's letter),
- the level of departmental and grant support, and
- a balance of awards across the university.
Awards: Awards will be announced three weeks after the application deadlines. The funds will be distributed to and managed by the department/program indicated on the cover page.
Reporting: Within a month of returning from the conference the student should send a one page report to the Graduate School that includes the student's name, major, degree sought, major professor's name, the conference attended, the dates and location of the conference, the presentation title, and a description of the significant outcomes of the meeting for the student. The report should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.