Section 000: Introductory Material
Effective July 1, 2010
Revised: September 5, 2013
- A Program that offers students positional roles of leadership as employees of Oregon State University. These programs are listed in organizational charts of University Units, with intention of professional development, mentoring and advising in support of the success of these students and the student defined mission, vision and goals of these programs.
- Departmental Student-Coordinated Programs are not Recognized Student Organizations
- Any activity undertaken in the name of a student organization, i.e.; meetings, performances, conference attendance, travel, retreat, sporting event, cultural nights, speakers, competitions, etc.
- A formal agreement between a Voluntary Student Organization and a sponsoring unit for the purpose of recognizing an event by a VSO that is in line with and compliments the Sponsoring Unit’s Mission. Sponsorship may entail access to University controlled resources specifically for the period of the event. This agreement, when completed, outlines the relationship between the Student Organization and the University Department and identifies an individual to serve as the Faculty Advisor to the event. This agreement does not indicate ongoing sponsorship of the VSO.
- Faculty, staff or personnel responsible for maintaining relationship with a sponsored student organization that allows for education and development as well as administration of data collection and University policies, procedures and guidelines.
- OSU students that hold voting rights and/or leadership positions.
Non-Affiliated Student Organization (NSO)
- A Non-Affiliated Student Organization (NSO) is an organization that is not affiliated with the University in a formal way.
- An individual that is currently enrolled through any Oregon State University or degree partnership program and not employed by Oregon State University in a position that is half -time equivalence (0.5 FTE) or higher. May also be referred to as “OSU Student.”
- A Sponsored Student Organization (SSO) or a Voluntary Student Organization (VSO) that has completed the annual registration process. A Non-Affiliated Student Organization (NSO) and Departmental Student-Coordinated Programs are not recognized Student Organizations.
- An agreement between a student organization and a sponsoring unit for the purpose of establishing a formal relationship.
- A Sponsored Student Organization (SSO) is a student organization, composed of 100% Oregon State University students, that operates under the direct guidance of a sponsoring unit and is in closest relationship with the University.
- A University unit through which a Sponsored Student Organization is affiliated to the university.
- The department responsible for providing administrative oversight of student organization online processes and development of and access to baseline trainings for students and Faculty Activities Advisors. Additionally, the SEAC is focused on creating visibility of and access to student involvement opportunities.
- An affiliation of students bound by an interest, goal, work or community. May also be referred to as a club, chapter, team, coalition, etc.
- A status - granted by the Student Events & Activities Center to a student organization upon successful completion of all registration requirements - which allows access to benefits.
- One or more Academic, Student Affairs or Auxiliary unit(s) of Oregon State University. This includes but is not limited to department (s), college(s), programs, schools, and interdisciplinary pursuits.
Voluntary Student Organization (VSO)
- A student organization composed of 100% Oregon State University students that contributes to the mission and culture of the University.