502: Temporary Pay
Payroll Policy and Procedure Manual
Section 500: Payment of Classified and Temporary Employees
- 502 Temporary Pay
- 502-01 Payment Process
- 502-02 Job and Labor Distribution Forms
- 502-03 Pay Method is Always Hourly
- 502-04 Social Security Exemption
- 502-05 Accounting for Labor Charges
A person hired through a temporary appointment to meet emergency, nonrecurring or short-term workload needs for a period of not more than 1040 hours.
|Classified Appointment Information Matrix|
|Emp E-Class||CA CB||CD CE||CE||TS|
|Job E-Class||CA CB||CB CE||See primary position||TS|
- After logging in on the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website, click on "Online Tasks" - "Hiring Employee" - "Temporary Staff" and complete the appropriate online tasks..
- Enter monthly timecard data in PYAHOUR Rate must match that on the authorization.
- Archive copy of time sheet as specified by Archive Law. Department copy is the record copy. See Archives website for retention period.
- The Job Form is used to authorize pay for initial appointments, report changes of appointment %, and to report changes in contract length during the fiscal year.
- To obtain this form, log onto OSCAR, click on "Online Tasks" - "Hire employee" - "Temporary Staff".
- Job forms should be routed to Business Center HR personnel.
- The Labor Distribution Form is used to report changes to prior, current, or future distributions. Business Center personnel who have had PYAREDS (redistribution) training may enter distribution changes affecting prior months. Any changes to labor distributions affecting a prior fiscal year must be approved by either the Office of Post Award Administration for grants, all others by the Asst. Director of Business Affairs.
- To obtain this form, log onto OSCAR, click on "Online Tasks" - "Payroll Changes" scroll to "Miscellaneous" - "Labor Distribution form" (Excel format). It is also available in the Downloadable forms section.
Initial job forms include a labor distribution field, where the regular distribution percentages must be entered by Business Center personnel as well as any subsequent labor distribution changes subject to the limitations noted above.
- All temporary classified employees are paid based on actual hours worked. The rate of pay corresponds to the rate shown on the job form.
- Pay is issued for the period from the 16th of the prior month through the 15th of the current month and is paid to the employee on the regular payday at the end of the month. The pay is identified as current month pay based on the date the paycheck is issued.
- Payroll data is entered in PYAHOUR during time entry days each month. Refer to the Payroll Calendar for specific dates.
- Refer to Classified Earn Codes for the correct Earn Codes and Account Codes to use.
Temporary employees are not eligible for exemption from Medicare and Social Security withholding.
Labor is charged to specific indexes and account codes. Use of activity codes is the choice of the department.
- Department index must be an open index owned by the employing department.
- Department index must remain open through the last day of the month payment is received by the employee.
502-05b Account Code
Refer to Classified Earn Codes for account code information.