202: Non-System Student Employees
Payroll Policy and Procedure Manual
Section 200: Payment of Student Employees
- 202 Non-System Student employees
- 202-01 Payment Process
- 202-02 Job and Labor Distribution Tasks
- 202-03 Pay Method - Hourly Pay
- 202-04 OPE (Social Security & Retirement) for Non-System Student Employees
- 202-05 Accounting for Labor Charges
- Additional Information
Non-System Student Employees
Students enrolled at a non-OUS school and employed by OSU. Enrollment requirements and hiring procedures are available through the Student Employment Policy and Procedures Manual.
- After logging onto the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) use the Job Tasks menu to initiate pay authorization for initial student hires or to change hourly pay rates.
- Each Business Center creates, routes and approves the Job Tasks via EPAF processing.
- Enter monthly timecard date in PYAHOUR for all hourly paid students. See the HRIS time entry manual on the HRIS website.
- Archive a copy of the time sheet as specified by Archive Law. The Department / Business Center copy is the official copy of record. See the Archives website for retention periods.
202-02a New Hire / Job Change Tasks
- The Job Tasks menu is used to authorize pay for initial appointments and report hourly pay rate changes.
- After logging into the (OSCAR) website, go to Business Center Tasks and complete the appropriate online task.
- Each Business Center creates and routes the Job Tasks via EPAF processing.
202-02b Labor Distribution Form
- The Labor Distribution Form is used to report changes to prior, current, or future distributions.
- To access this task, log onto OSCAR, click on "Payroll Changes" and click on "Job Labor Distribution Change" (excel format). It can also be found in the Downloadable Forms.
- Redistributions are entered by the Business Centers in PYAREDS and the record of copy is kept there.
202-03a Hourly Pay
- Hourly pay is used for all non-system student pay.
- Pay is issued for the period from the 16th of the prior month through the 15th of the current month and identified as current month pay.
- Payroll data is entered in PYAHOUR during time entry each month. Refer to the Payroll Calendar for specific dates.
- Refer to Undergraduate Student Earn Codes for the correct Earn Codes and Account Codes to use.
Non-system students are fully subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes and ineligible for the student Medicare and Social Security (FICA) exemption. Non-system students also become retirement eligible after working for 6 months and at least 600 hrs in a calendar year.
Labor is charged to specific indexes and account codes. Use of activity codes is the choice of the department.
202-05a Index & Account Code
- Must be an open and valid index owned by the employing department.
- This index should remain open through the last day of the month pay is issued to the employee. Otherwise, it may error out when posting to finance.
- Refer to Undergraduate Student Earn Codes for account code information.
The following chart provides a summary of data by student employment type.
|Category||Paid Hourly||Work Study||Default Hours||Non-System|