201: Authorized Drivers & Passengers
Motor Pool Policy & Procedure Manual
Section 200: Authorizations
To identify personnel who may be authorized to operate or travel in Motor Pool vehicles.
Individuals employed by Oregon State University for wages or salary which is received in a University payroll check.
Students employed by Oregon State University for wages or salary which is received in a University payroll check.
Officially Sanctioned Programs
Any program undertaken to further the instructional, research, or service missions of Oregon State University or designed to promote the cultural and physical development of students. Such programs include but are not limited to:
- Academic department programs;
- Co-curricular programs;
- Intramural, recreational sports, club sports, and intercollegiate athletic programs;
- Any student programs or activities identified by the Vice Provost for Student Affairs or designee. Examples of such activities include, but are not limited to, student government, student housing activities, and activities sponsored by student organizations that are consistent with the university's mission (OAR 576-035-0010).
Official University Business
Any activity for which all or part of the expenses may be reimbursed by any unit, department, or program of Oregon State University.
Official State Business
Any activity conducted in conformance to these rules and directed and controlled by a state agency to advance the lawful policies and purposes of the agency. State law requires a narrow interpretation of this term. Therefore, agencies' policies and purposes are only those that are official, in writing, and within statutory authority. These may be written in statutes, orders, rules, policy manuals, procedural guides, and position descriptions. They may be written in official statements of agency missions, goals, objectives, and performance measurement plans. They may be written in Oregon Benchmarks and OSSHE rules defining its officially sanctioned programs (OAR 125-155-0010).
Motor Pool vehicles may only be operated by authorized drivers who are:
- identified in this policy, and
- meet the criteria established in MPL 202: Age & License Requirements, and
- use Motor Pool vehicles in compliance with MPL 501: Vehicle Use.
Only drivers who have acceptable driving records and have completed required safety training may be authorized to drive a Motor Pool vehicle. All drivers must obtain authorization from the appropriate person (e.g. department chair, the head of the employing department/unit, faculty advisor, etc.) prior to operating a Motor Pool vehicle.
Drivers must submit a completed Driver's Authorization form to the Motor Pool.
Scope of Authorization
Authorization to drive a Motor Pool vehicle is limited to the scope and course of the employment and duties of the driver which are defined by their job or volunteer position.
The following people may be authorized to operate Motor Pool vehicles for official University or State business:
- University employees, including student employees
- Temporary staff/faculty
- Students from Recognized Student Organizations
- Officially authorized volunteers
- Federal, State, County and City employees
Authorization is only valid during actual periods of employment or volunteerism and terminates when the person is no longer employed or volunteering at the University or government agency.
- Students, volunteers and temporary staff/faculty can be authorized for a period of up to 1 year or until their drivers license expires (which ever comes first) to use Motor Pool vehicles for official university business. Upon renewal of their drivers' license, they will need to submit a new driver’s authorization form to the Motor Pool.
- University and other State agency employees can be authorized up to 3 years or until their drivers license expires (which ever comes first) to use Motor Pool vehicles for official university business. Upon renewal of their drivers' license, they will need to submit a new driver’s authorization form to the Motor Pool.
Passengers not identified in this policy are prohibited from traveling in a Motor Pool vehicle. The following people may be authorized to travel in Motor Pool vehicles:
- Individuals traveling on official University or State of Oregon business.
- Personnel employed by other public entities who are traveling on official public business may accompany an OSU driver if the use is for official OSU purposes.
- Necessary chauffeurs (paid or unpaid) not currently operating the vehicle
Some examples include but are not limited to:
- Persons not on Official University or State of Oregon business
- Family Members
- Animals unrelated to Official University or State Business
- Non-OSU students
Obtaining Driver Authorization
MPL 102: Required Safety Training
MPL 103 Driver Record Standards
MPL 202: Age and License Requirements
MPL 203: Suspension of Vehicle Use Privileges
MPL 501: Vehicle Use
Oregon Administrative Rule 125-155-0200 Voluntary and Compulsory Driver Standards
Oregon Administrative Rule 125-155-0300 Verifying Driver Qualifications
Oregon Administrative Rule 125-155-0400 Authorized Drivers