411-05 Conference Expenses

Fiscal Operations Manual
Section 411: Travel
Effective: 02/01/1982
Revised: 01/31/2011

The OSU Purchasing Card is the preferred method for registration.  This card may not be used to pay any costs associated with social functions held in connection with the conference. Contact your unit purchasing card custodian. Keep a copy of the registration form to submit with the TRES form. DO NOT claim this expense on the traveler’s reimbursement form since it has already been paid.  Note that it has been paid with the purchasing card in the OTHER EXPENSES section of the form.  The same instructions apply if any meals are associated with the registration fee.  See FIS 1402-12: OSU Purchasing Card.

Direct Bill - A conference host may be willing to invoice the unit for a traveler attending the conference. 

“Prepaid” is when the university (not the traveler) pays the registration fee for the traveler before the conference, function, or event takes place.  Attach a completed original registration form and one copy of the registration form to the Payment Request form.  The registration form should show the amount of the registration fee.  Send these documents to the appropriate Business Center where an invoice is prepared so a check can be mailed with the original registration form to the vendor.

Keep an additional copy of the registration form showing the dates of the conference to include when submitting the Travel Reimbursement form.  On the Travel Reimbursement form, put a notation in OTHER EXPENSES section stating that the registration fee has been prepaid.  Do not carry the amount over into the total column of the reimbursement form.

Units may elect to make registration payments via wire transfer, especially when paying an agency overseas. Upon receipt of a fully completed Request for Wire Transfer form (a typed form is preferred with the appropriate supporting documentation), the Cashier's Office will initiate the wire transfer request and the State Treasury will complete the transaction. The form must be signed by a unit supervisor and not by the same person who filled out the Request for Wire Transfer form.

When stating the name of the vendor, do not use initials or acronyms.  State the full name of the vendor since this information is required for the vendor history file.  However, if the initials are the name of the vendor, note that fact on the Payment Request.

A person’s name cannot be listed as the vendor when paying a registration fee.  The check must be made out to the conference name, although the check can be mailed to a person.  It is very important to read the registration form to determine where the check is to be sent, since that address may be different from the place where the conference is being held.

A conference attendee traveling on official university business may pay the registration fee and be reimbursed for it after the event.  Claim reimbursement in the OTHER EXPENSES section of the reimbursement form.  Reimbursements to travelers require either:

  1. When a registration fee is paid by the claimant, a signed receipt or a computer receipt showing the amount paid must be attached. 
  2. If a cancelled check is used as proof of payment, the claimant will need conference materials showing the registration amount and copies of both sides of the cancelled check.

A Journal Voucher (JV) may be used for a registration fee when a unit on campus sponsors a conference.  The debit will go to the attending unit’s general fund on an expense account code 2XXXX.  The credit will go to the sponsor’s workshop fund on an income account 09XXX.

When a conference registration includes meals and lodging, these items should be broken out into their proper account codes, if possible.  If not possible, include all in the registration account code.  Do not request reimbursement for meals included or prepaid with the conference.