Tim DelCurto's Publications
If you would like to recieve a copy please contact Jana Lee Dick include the citation information.
Books and Book Chapters:
- DelCurto, T. 2010. Issues in Grazing Livestock Nutrition. In: Proc. 4th Grazing Livestock Nutrition Conference. B. W. Hess, T. DelCurto, J.G.P. Bowman, and R. C. Waterman (Eds).West. Sect. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci., Champaign, Il pp 1-10.
- Putman, D. H., and T. DelCurto. 2005. Forage systems for Arid Zones. In: R. F. Barnes, C. J. Nelson, K. J. Moore, and M. Collins (Eds) Forages, Volume II. The Science of Grassland Agriculture (6th edition). Iowa State Press, Chapt. 22 pp 323-339.
- DelCurto, T. and P. R. Cheeke. 2005. Feeding and nutrition of beef cattle. In: P.R. Cheeke (Ed.) Applied Animal Nutrition; Feed and Feeding (3rd edition). Prentice-Hall, Inc. pp 373-397.
- DelCurto, T., D. Bohnert, and C. Ackerman. 2000. Characteristics and challenges of sustainable beef production in western US. In: Strategic Supplementation of Beef Cattle Consuming Low-Quality Roughages in the Western United States. Oregon State Univ. Agri. Exp. Sta. SB 683.
- Turner, H. A. and T. DelCurto. 1991. Nutritional and managerial considerations for range beef cattle production. In: J. Maas (Ed.) Veterinary Clinics of North America : Food Animal Practice, Beef Cattle Nutrition. W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia. pp. 95-125.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Clark, A. A., T. Delcurto, M. Vavra, B. L. Dick. Accepted, in revision. 2012. Stocking Rate and Fuels Reduction on Beef cattle Diet, Composition, and Quality. Range Ecol Manage.
- Kimoto, C., S. J. DeBano, R. W. Thorp, R. V. Taylor, H. J. Schmalz, T. DelCurto, T. N. Johnson*, P. L. Kennedy, and S. Rao. In review. Short-term responses of native bees to livestock and implications for managing ecosystem services in grasslands. Ecosphere. (submitted 02/2012).
- Johnson, T. N.*, P. L. Kennedy, T. DelCurto and R. V. Taylor. 2011. Bird community responses to cattle stocking rates in a Pacific Northwest bunchgrass prairie. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 144:338-346.
- Kenric J. Walburger, Micah Wells, Martin Vavra, Timothy DelCurto, Bruce Johnson, and Pricilla Coe. 2009. Influence of Cow Age on Grazing Distribution in a Mixed Conifer Forest. Rangeland Ecology and Management 62:290-296.
- Damiran, D., T. DelCurto, D. W. Bohnert, and S. L. Findholt. 2008. Comparison of techniques and grinding sizes to estimate digestibility of forage based ruminant diets. J. Anim. Feed Sci. and Technology 141:15-35.
- Jaeger, J. R., K.C. Olson, T. DelCurto, and A. Qu. Case Study: Pattern of Parturition as Affected by Time of Feeding and Prediction of the Time of Day that Parturition Will Occur in Spring-Calving Beef Cows. The Professional Animal Scientist 24 (2008):247-253.
- K. J. Walburger, T. DelCurto, G. D. Pulsipher, R. L. Hathaway, and G. J. Pirelli. 2008. The Effect of Fertilizing Forage with Sodium Selenate on Selenium Concentration of Hay, Drain Water and Serum Selenium Concentrations in Beef Heifers and Calves. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 88:79-83.
- John A. Tanaka, Neil R. Rimbey L. Allen Torell, David “Tex” Taylor, Derek Bailey, Timothy DelCurto, Kenric Walburger, and Bob Welling. 2007. Grazing distribution: The quest for the silver bullet. Rangelands (August): 38-46.
- Walburger, Kenric J., Timothy DelCurto, and Martin Vavra. 2007. Influence of forest management and previous herbivory on cattle diets. Rangeland Ecology & Management 60(2)172-178
- Damiran, D., T. DelCurto, D. E. Johnson, S. L. Findholt, and B. K. Johnson. 2006. Estimating shrub forage yield and utilization using a photographic technique. Northwest Science 80(4):259-263 .
- Bohnert, D. W., C. S. Schauer, and T. DelCurto. 2004. Influence of rumen protein degradability and supplementation frequency on performance and nitrogen use in ruminants consuming low-quality forage: cow performance and efficiency of nitrogen use in wethers. J. of Anim. Sci. 80(6)1629-1637.
- Cook, John G., Bruce K. Johnson, Rachel C. Cook, Robert A. Riggs, Tim DelCurto, Larry D. Bryant, and Larry L. Irwin. 2004. Effects of summer-autumn nutritiona nd parturition date on reproduction and survival of elk. Wildlife Monographs No. 155, January 2004. Supplement to The J. of Wildlife Management. 2003
- Fisher, M. J., D. W. Bohnert , C. J. Ackerman, C. S. Schauer, T. DelCurto, A. M. Craig, E. S. Vanzant, D. L. Harmon, and F. N. Schrick. 2004. Evaluation of perennial ryegrass straw as a forage source for ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2175-2184.
- Parsons, C. T., P. A. Momont, T. DelCurto, and J. L. Sharp. 2003. Cattle distribution patterns and vegetation use in mountain riparian areas. J. Range Manage. 56:334-341.
- Stillings, A. M., J. A. Tanaka, N. R. Rimbey, T. DelCurto, P. A. Momont, and M. L. Porath. 2003. Economic implications of off-stream water developments to improve riparian grazing. J. Range Manage. 56:418-424.
- Kennedy, P. L., T. DelCurto, S. J. DeBano, R. V. Taylor, T. N. Johnson, S. Wyffels, C. Kimoto, H. Schmalz, and R. Limb. In review. Is livestock grazing sustainable in a Northeast Oregon grassland? Proceedings of the 2011 PNW Animal Nutrition Conference, Portland, OR, USA (submitted 09/2011).
- Kennedy, P. L., T. DelCurto, S. J. DeBano, R. V. Taylor, T. N. Johnson, S. Wyffels, C. Kimoto, H. Schmalz, and R. Limb. In review. Responses of a Pacific Northwest Bunchgrass food Web to Experimental Manipulations of Stocking Rate. Proceedings, 2011 American Grasslands Conference, Sioux Falls, SD, USA (submitted 10/2011).
- Wyffels, S., T. DelCurto, A. Clark, P. Kennedy, R. Taylor, and S. DeBano. 2009. Influence of stocking density on grazing beef cattle performance, diet composition, foraging efficiency, and diet quality on a late-spring early-summer native bunchgrass prairie. Proc. West. Sec. Amer. Soc. Ani.Sci.60:164-169.
- Damiran, D., T. DelCurto, E. Darambazar, A. A. Clark, P. L. Kennedy, and R. V. Taylor. 2007. Visual obstruction: weight technique for estimating production on northwestern bunchgrass prairie rangelands. J. Ani. Sci. 85:176. Suppl. 2.
Abstracts of Papers at Professional Meetings
- Bohnert, D.W., T. DelCurto, A.A. Clark, M.L. Merrill, S.J. Falck, and D.L. Harmon. Protein supplementation of ruminants consuming low-quality cool or warm-season forage: Differences in intake and digestibility. Proc. West. Sec. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. 58:217-220.
- Clark, A., T. DelCurto, M. Vavra, D. Damiran, E. Darambazar, and B. Dick. 2007. Botanical composition and diet quality of cattle grazing at three stocking rates following fuels reduction [abstract #82]. In: Abstracts for the 60th Annual Meeting of the Society for Range Management, 10-16 February 2007, Reno/Sparks, Nevada.
- Damiran, D., T. DelCurto, E. Darambazar, A. A. Clark, P. L. Kennedy, and R. V. Taylor. 2007. Visual obstruction : weight technique for estimating production on northwestern bunchgrass prairie rangelands. In: Proc. West. Sec. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. 58:225-228, June 20-22, 2007, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho.
- Darambazar, E., T. DelCurto, D. Damiran, A. A. Clark, and R. V. Taylor. 2007. Species composition and diversity on northwestern bunchgrass prairie rangelands. In: Proc. West. Sec. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. 58:233-236, June 20-22, 2007, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho.
- Darambazar, E., D. Damiran, T. DelCurto, B. Riggs, M. Vavra, and J. Cook. 2007. Species diversity in understory production of transitional forested rangelands in the Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon [abstract #109]. In: Abstracts for the 60th Annual Meeting of the Society for Range Management, 10-16 February 2007, Reno/Sparks, Nevada.
- Darambazar, E., D. Damiran, T. DelCurto, B. Riggs, M. Vavra, and J. Cook. 2007. Understory production of transitional forested rangelands in the Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon [abstract #108]. In: Abstracts for the 60th Annual Meeting of the Society for Range Management, 10-16 February 2007, Reno/Sparks, Nevada.
- Cook, J. G., B. K. Johnson, R. C. Cook, R. A. Riggs, T. DelCurto , L. D. Bryant, and L. L. Irwin 2005. Nutrition and parturition date effects elk: Potential implications for research and management. March 20, 2004. Transactions of the North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference 69.
- Findholt, S., D. Damiran, B. K. Johnson, T . DelCurto, and J. G. Kie. 2005.
Diet overlap among elk, mule deer and cattle. Transactions of the North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference 69.
- Findholt, S. L., D. Damiran, B. K. Johnson, T. DelCurto , and J. G. Kie 2005. Diet composition, dry matter intake, and dient overlap of mule deer, elk, and cattle. March 20, 2004. Transactions of the North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference 69.
- Vavra, Martin, Kenric Walburger, and Timothy DelCurto. 2005. Ungulate Ecology of Ponderosa Pine Ecosystems. In Ritchie, Martin W.; Maguire, Douglas A.; Youngblood, Andrew Technical coordinators. 2005. Proceedings of the Symposium on Ponderosa Pine: Issues, Trends, and Mangement. 2004 October 18-21, Klamath Falls, OR. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-198. Albany,. CA; Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. 281 p.
- Walburger, Kenric, Timothy DelCurto, Martin Vavra, and Abe A. Clark. The Effexts of Herbivory and Timber Harvest on Understory Production in Northeastern Oregon. Range Field Day 2005: Research in Rangeland Management. Sustaining the Land. Sustaining the People. Range Science Series Report #7. Burns, OR.
- Jaeger, J.R. and T. DelCurto. 2004. Endogenous Prostaglandin F2a Concentrations in Bovine Whole Semen Seminal Plansma and Extended Semen. Proc. WSASAS, Vol. 55, 2004. pp. 18-21.
- Walburger, K.J., T. DelCurto, M. Vavra, and G. D. Pulsipher. 2004. The long-term effects of cattle and(or) big game herbivory and logging on the subsequent diet quality of steers grazing grand fir (Abies grandis) habitats in northeastern Oregon . Proc. WSASAS, Vol. 55, 2004. pp. 253-256.
- D.W. Bohnert, C.W. Hunt, and T. DelCurto. Grass Seed Straw- Considerations for Use as a Forage source for Ruminants. Alternative Feeds for Livestock and Poultry. Proceedings 3rd National Symposium on Alternative Feeds for Livestock and Poultry; November 4 & 5 2003, Kansas City, MO. pp. 39-52.
- Damiran, D.,T. DelCurto, S.L. Findholt, G.D. Pulsipher, and B.K Johnson. 2003. Influence of previous cattle and elk grazing on the subsequent quality and quantity of diets for cattle, deer and elk grazing late-summer mixed-conifer rangelands. Proc. West. Sec. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. Vol. 54:320-324.
- Darambazar, E., T. DelCurto, C. Ackerman, G. Pulsipher, and D. Damiran. 2003. Changes in forage quantity and quality with continued cattle grazing in a mountain riparian pasture. Proc. West. Sec. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. Vol.54:324-328
- Darambazar, E., T. DelCurto, C. Ackerman, D. Damiran, and J.A. Morrison. 2003. The influence of cow age on botanical composition of diets in mixed conifer mountain riparian areas and adjacent uplands. In:Abstr. of Soc. fo Range Manage. 56th annu. meeting. #55.
- Damiran, D., D.E. Johnson, T. DelCurto, and S. L. Findholt. 2003. Estimating shrub forage yield and utilization using a photographic technique. In:Abstr. of Soc. for Range Manage. 56th annu. meeting. #54.
- White, J.J., G.D. Pulsipher, and T. DelCurto. 2003. Effects of forage quality and type of protein supplement on intake and digestibility in beef steers and performance of postpartum beef cows. Proc. West. Sec. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. Vol. 54
- Riggs, R.A., A.R. Tiedemann, J.G. Cook, T.M. Ballard, P.J. Edgerton, M. Vavra, W.C. Krueger, F.C. Hall, L.D. Bryant, L.L. Irwin, and T. DelCurto. 2000. Modification of mixed-conifer forests by ruminant herbivores in the Blue Mountains ecological province. USDA Forest Service Research Paper PNW-RP-527.www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/rp527.pdf
- Walburger, K., T. DelCurto, M. Vavra, L. Bryant, and J. G. Kie. 2000. Influence of a grazing system and aspect, north vs. south, on the nutritional quality of forages, and performance and distribution of cattle grazing forested rangelands. Oregon Agric. Exp. Sta. Spec. Rep. 1018:36-41.
- Vavra, M., T. DelCurto, and M. McInnis. 2000. Designing sustainable livestock grazing systems. Oregon Agric. Exp. Sta. Spec. Bull. 1018:1-7.
- DelCurto, T., D. Bohnert, and C. Ackerman. 2000. Characteristics and challenges of the beef cattle industry in the western US. Oregon Agric. Exp. Sta. Spec. Bull. 1018:8-16.
- DelCurto, Tim, Marni Porath, Mike L. McInnis, Pat Momont, and Cory Parsons. 1999. Management strategies for optimal beef cattle distribution and use of mountain riparian meadows. In:Grazing Behavior of Livestock and Wildlife. 1999. K.L. Launchbaugh, K.D. Sanders, J.C. Mosley, Eds. Idaho Forest, Wildlife Range Exp. Sta. Bull. #70, pp. 119-129.