Jefferson County History
- Was created on December 12, 1914, out of territory that was once part of Crook County.
- Was named after Mount Jefferson, the second highest peak in Oregon with an elevation of 10,497 feet, which marks the County's western skyline.
- Is bordered on the north by Wasco County, on the east by Wheeler and Crook Counties, on the south by Deschutes County, and on the west by Linn and Marion Counties.
- Encompasses 1791 square miles. Madras, named after the city in India, was incorporated in 1911 and serves as the County seat.
- Built a new courthouse in 1961. County government is administered by a three-member Board of Commissioners.
- Population at its first federal census in 1920 was 3,211. The 2000 population of 19,009 represented a 39% increase from 1990.
- Owes much of its agricultural prosperity to the arrival of the railroad in 1911 and to the development of irrigation projects in the late 1930s. The railroad, linking Madras with the Columbia River, was completed after constant feuds and battles between two lines working opposite sides of the Deschutes River.
Jefferson County Facts
- Principle industries are agriculture, forest products, and recreation. The fertile North Unit Irrigation District in the central part of the county produces seed, potatoes, hay, and mint. The eastern part of the county has dry wheat farming and grazing land for cattle, and the western part is timber country.
- The Warm Springs Indian Reservation is located on portions of land in four counties including 236,082 acres in the northwestern corner of Jefferson County.
Other Jefferson County Links:
City of Culver
Madras Chamber of Commerce
Oregon Parks and Recreation: Heritage Programs - Jefferson County History
Oregon Parks and Recreation: The Cove Palisades Resort and Marina