!MANTENGASE AL TANTO!
Sign up to receive email updates HERE.
Regístrese para recibir actualizaciones por correo electrónico AQUÍ.
In English & Spanish:
- New! Azalea Lace Bug vinyl poster! For more details and ordering information visit the OSU Publications and Multimedia Catalog
- ¡Nuevo! Póster de vinilo de la chinche de encaje de la azalea. Para mas detalles e información sobre como ordenar, visite la página de catálogo de publicaciones de OSU.
- New! Updated April, 2014. Identifying and Managing Christmas Tree Diseases, Pests, and Other Problems. For more details and ordering information visit the OSU Publications and Multimedia Catalog.
- ¡Nuevo! Actualizado abril, 2014. Identificación y Manejo de Enfermedades, Plagas y Otros Problemas en Árboles de Navidad. Para mas detalles e información sobre como ordenar, visite la página de catálogo de publicaciones de OSU.
- Bilingual diagnostic guide “Identifying and Managing Christmas Tree Diseases, Pests and Other Disorders.” Order HERE
- Guía bilingüe de diagnóstico "Identificación y Manejo de enfermedades, insectos y otros desórdenes en árboles de navidad." Ordene AQUÍ
- ¡Gratis! Chinche de encaje de la azalea: una nueva plaga de las azaleas y los rododendros (PDF-EM9066-S).
1. Plant health education program
This program has been designed for nursery and greenhouse workers based on data collected from a needs assessment survey for training opportunities. The survey was carried out in 2009 and 2010 with members of the nursery industry.
Current and past trainings:
“Best management practices to prevent Phytophthora diseases”. Five different topics were identified and presented one per month. This workshop series was offered on 2010 and sponsored by ODA.
“Training nursery personnel on systems approach to prevent and detect plant problems”. This is a core training that is offered at the site of work. It was initiated on 2012 and continues active on 2013. We are willing to accept new nurseries interested to get this training for the workers. The workshop is customized according the needs of training for the nursery. This program is supported by ODA.
“Plant Health topics”. This is a new pilot program initiated in January 2013. This program was initiated in partnership with nurseries interested to improve the quality of work of their workers by exposing them to new concepts, hands-on activities and the opportunity to interact and ask about their daily challenges producing and growing plants. Four different topics have been considered.
2. IPM training for workers in the Christmas tree industry
In collaboration with the Christmas tree specialist, we offer classes about scouting and diagnosis of Christmas tree problems. Our main audience is Spanish-speaking workers. We want to help them to improve their scouting techniques and provide some knowledge for an efficient Integrated Pest Management.
We have developed a bilingual diagnostic field guide in English and Spanish to support these IPM trainings.
3. Food Handling Safety "Train the Trainer" workshops.
This is a collaborative effort from Extension and the Berry commissions to create and awareness of good practices during the harvest season and prevent food contamination. (April-May).
- For additional information or to participate in any of these programs please contact us.
Luisa Santamaria, Nursery Crops Extension Specialist— Plant Pathologist and Bilingual Educator
Gilbert Uribe, Education Program Assistant