Before You Start...
You will want to ensure that your images are properly prepared.
- No spaces in file name.
- Image is optimized for the web.
To embed an image into a Drupal node, do the following:
- Within your text editor, click your mouse at the point where you would like to insert the image. The cursor should immediately show there.
- Click on the Insert/Edit image toolbar button (the tree). This will open the Insert/Edit image dialog box, which contains three different tabs
- General tab - This tab contains some important elements that impact both users with disabilities and search engine ranking. Do not bypass this information. This tab contains three fields:
- Image URL field - This is where the link to your image must go. Next to the field is the Browse icon - this is what connects you to the file browser and automatically sets a link for you. Click it to go into the file browser.
- Select the image you would like to embed by clicking on it.
- Click the send to tiny mce link at the top of the file browser.
- The file browser will close and you will be redirected back to the Insert/Edit image dialog box. The Image URL field will be automatically filled
- Image description field -This field contains what is known as Alt Text (alternative text). It is a very important field in regards to both accessibility and search engine optimization. This field should hold a meaningful, yet brief, description of the image. If the image, for whatever reason, can not be displayed, the alt text will show in its place.
- If you do not fill out this field, you will receive a warning when you try to embed or update the image.
- Title field -This field will provide a "pop up" caption/tool tip when a mouse is hovered over it. Title tags are also looked at by search engines, so it's a good practice to include one.
- Appearance tab - The appearance tab is where you set all properties related to your image. This includes things such as resizing the display and setting the space around your image.
- Advanced tab - The advanced tab is for advanced settings. Only advanced users should modify these settings.
- Once you have completed adding your settings, click the Preview button. If satisfied with the preview, click the Save button.