- Campus Applications
- About MediaSpace
- Campus Map
- Survey Tool
- Getting Access
- Media Services
- Information Services
Getting Access to Your Site
For other questions on access visit our Hosting FAQ page.
Back to top
Windows (On Campus)
If your Windows computer is on the OSU network (either plugged into a network port at a building on campus, using the OSU wireless network, or using VPN from off-campus), you can mount your site directory to your Windows computer. For VPN access, go to Network Engineering's VPN site. Follow these steps:
Note: If you have a version of Windows older than Windows 2000, please use the alternative instructions instead.
- Click on the Start menu and choose Run.
- In the Open: field, enter "\\access.cws.oregonstate.edu\pathname", where "pathname" is the path to your site. If you are unsure of your path, access WebManage and determine the path from the site you are looking to access. The pathname is going to be the listed path minus the first level. For example, if the path is listed as /www/httpd-docs/department/mydept, you would enter into the Open: field "\\access.cws.oregonstate.edu\httpd-docs\department\mydept"
- Click OK.
- If Windows asks for a username to use, enter "ONID\username", where "username" is your ONID username. Enter your ONID password.
- You should now see a window with your site files appear.
You can also use the alternative instructions as well.
Back to top
Windows (Off Campus/Alternative)
If your Windows computer is not on the OSU network, or the On Campus instructions do not work for you, you can use any SSH-based secure file copy program. We recommend WinSCP to securely transfer files between your computer and your ONID account. The SSH SFTP client is no longer supported and should not be used. For VPN access, go to Network Engineering's VPN site.
Follow these steps to connect to your ONID account using WinSCP:
- Start WinSCP
- Go to the Session page
- "Host name" should be set to access.cws.oregonstate.edu
- "Username" should be your ONID username
- "Password" should be your ONID password
- Click Login to connect
- If you are asked "Continue connecting and add host key to the cache?", click Yes
On the left side, you will see the files and directories on your computer. On the right side are the files and directories on your ONID account. Change directory to the site using the full path specified in WebManage for your site.
To transfer a file or directory from your ONID account to your computer, simply drag-and-drop the item from the right side to the left side. To transfer a file from your computer to your ONID account, drag-and-drop the item from the left side to the right side.
To close your connection and exit WinSCP, click on the Commands menu and choose Quit.
Back to top
Mac OS X (On Campus)
If your Mac OS X computer is on the OSU network (either plugged into a network port at a building on campus, using the OSU wireless network, or using VPN from off-campus), you can mount your ONID home directory to your Mac OS X computer. Follow these steps:
- From the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose Connect To Server.
- In the Address field, enter "smb://access.cws.oregonstate.edu" and click the Connect button.
- Enter your ONID username and password. Click Connect.
- Choose the path root that is listed in your site path on WebManage from the list of shares and click OK.
- Your site directory will be a drive on your desktop.
Back to top
Mac (Off Campus/Alternative)
If your Mac computer is not on the OSU network, or the On Campus instructions do not work for you, we recommend Cyberduck to securely transfer files between your computer and your site account. For VPN access, go to Network Engineering's VPN site.
Using Cyberduck to transfer files
To SFTP to your account:
- Start Cyberduck
- Click on Open Connection
- Choose "SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol)" from the Protocol: drop-down list
- Server: should be set to "access.cws.oregonstate.edu"
- Username: should be your ONID username
- Password: should be your ONID password
- Click the Connect button
- If you get a pop-up window saying "Unknown host key for access.cws.oregonstate.edu", click the Always button
You will see a directories from your ONID home directory. To transfer a file or directory, simply drag-and-drop the item to or from your Mac.
To close your connection, click the Disconnect button.