When should I seek professional help?

Some people are able to cope effectively with the emotional and physical demands brought about by a traumatic experience by using their own support systems. Sometimes, however, people find that serious problems persist and continue to interfere with daily living. For example, some may feel overwhelming nervousness or lingering sadness that adversely affects academic performance and interpersonal relationships.

Individuals with prolonged reactions that disrupt their daily functioning should consult with a trained and experienced mental health professional. Psychologists and other appropriate mental health providers help educate people about normal responses to extreme stress. These professionals work with individuals affected by trauma to help them find constructive ways of dealing with the emotional impact.

Contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 541-737-2131 for more information.

Resources     Back     Next