- About CAPS
- Our Services
- CAPS Directory
- Faculty & Staff
- Parents & Family
- Contact Us
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)
“The National Institute of Justice found that about 1 in 5 women are victims of completed or attempted sexual assault while in college. The report also found that approximately 6.1 percent of males were victims of completed or attempted sexual assault during college. According to data collected under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), 20 U.S.C. § 1092(f), in 2009, college campuses reported nearly 3,300 forcible sex offenses as defined by the Clery Act. This problem is not limited to college. During the 2007-2008 school year, there were 800 reported incidents of rape and attempted rape and 3,800 reported incidents of other sexual batteries at public high schools. Additionally, the likelihood that a woman with intellectual disabilities will be sexually assaulted is estimated to be significantly higher than the general population.”
Source: United States Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, Dear Colleague Letter, http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.pdf
These statistics are alarming…don’t be a bystander. SAAM is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The primary purpose of SAAM is to continue to raise awareness about sexual assault and motivate members of our community to work towards ending sexual violence.
This year’s theme is Breaking the Silence, Strength without Violence. This year’s SAAM committee would love to have participation by Student Affairs units and would like your assistance in getting the word out to students in your areas.
Complete event descriptions are on the SAAM website: http://studenthealth.oregonstate.edu/saam
Please feel free to pass along the information via Facebook & other social networks.
- OSU Take Back the Night - Wednesday 4/6 @ 7:00 p.m. http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=200587023287175
- Myth Busters! - Wednesday 4/13 from 10-2 p.m. in the MU Quad http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=201871266492695
- Move Toward Hope 5K Fun Run/Walk - Monday 4/18 registration at 2 p.m. in the MU Quad, 5k begins at 4:00 pm. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=187526211289060
- Jean Kilbourne presents "Deadly Persuasion: Advertising and the Corruption of Relationships" - Tuesday 4/19 LaSells Stewart Center @ 7:00 p.m. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=205230336169881
- Kristin’s Story - Thursday 4/21 LaSells Stewart Center @ 7:00 p.m. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=190901320949113
- Expressions of Strength Art Show and Open Mic - Tuesday 4/26 MU 211 ART SHOW is 12:00-9:00 p.m. OPEN MIC is 7:00-9:00 p.m. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=159385447452582