- Majors & Minors
- Writing I & II
- MA in English
- MFA Program
- Critical Questions
- Visiting Writers
WR 525 Advanced Scientific and Technical Writing
Cross listed as PSM 525
Learn to hone your scientific writing skills and ways to communicate science to various audiences!
If you have completed a research project or internship, bring your data set to this course. You will examine what researchers publish, when they publish, and why.
- Learn to use tools and to follow processes for writing.
- Understand and adapt to different audiences.
- Understand which journal is best to communicate your research findings to target audiences.
- Learn by editing and peer reviewing.
Using your data and research methods, you will
- Use persuasion effectively to write a proposal and a cover letter to a funding agency;
- Write to various audiences about data and results;
- Write a scientific manuscript and a magazine article using outlet guidelines;
- Determine and create an appropriate visual display;
- Edit and revise work after peer review;
- Analyze a collection of science magazine articles and write a book review.
Challenging? Yes. Worthwhile? Absolutely!