- Ph.D. - Sociology, York University, Canada 1996
- Graduate Diploma - Refugee and Migration Studies, York University 1996
- M.E.S. - Faculty Environmental Studies, York, University 1990
- Graduate Diploma - Latin America and Caribbean Studies, York University 1990
- B.A. - Sociology and Latin American and Caribbean Studies, York University 1983-87
- Plaza, Dwaine. 2008. "Transnational Return Migration to the English Speaking Caribbean." Revue Europeenne des Migrations Internationales. Vol. 24, No 1, pp 115-137.
- Plaza, Dwaine. 2007. "An Examination of Transnational Remittance Practices of Jamaican Canadian Families." Global Development Studies, Vol. 4, No. 3-4, pp. 217-250.
- Plaza, Dwaine. 2007. "Qualitative Research Methods SOC 418/518 Syllabus," in the American Sociogical Association 4th edition of the 2007 Teaching Qualitative Methods Compendium.
- Gonzales-Berry, Erlinda & Dwaine Plaza. 2007. "'We Are Tired of Cookies and Old Clothes': From Poverty Programs to Community Empowerment Among Oregon's Mexicano Population, 1957-1975." In Xing, Jun et al. Seeing Color: Indigenous Peoples and Radicalized Ethnic Minorities in Oregon, pp 93-116, Oregon STate University Press.
- Gonzales-Berry, Erlinda, Marcella, Mendoza & Dwaine Plaza. 2007. "Segmented Assimilation of One-and-a Half Generation Mexican Youth in Oregon." Latino(a) Research Review. Vol. 6, No. 1-2 pp. 94-118.
- Plaza, Dwaine. 2007. "Migration Caribbeene et Integration au Canada: a la poursuite du reve d'ascension Sociale (1900-1998)." Terres D'Amerique, Vol 6, pp. 141-157.
- Plaza, Dwaine. 2006. "The Construction of a Segmented Hybrid Identity Among One and a Half and Second Generation Indo- and African- Caribbean Canadians." Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research. Vol. 6 (3) 207-230.
- Plaza, Dwaine. 2006. "Second Generation "Returnee" Migration to Jamaica and Barbados: Pursing Happiness and Mobility." In Plaza, Dwaine & Frances Henry (ed). Returning to the Source: The Final Stage of the Caribbean Migration Circuit, pp 145-166. Jamaica: University of the West Indies Press.
- Plaza, Dwaine & Frances Henry. 2006. "'An Overview of Return Migration to the English Speaking Caribbean." In Plaza, Dwaine & Francis Henry (ed). Returning to the Source: The Final Stage of the Caribbean Migration Circuit, pp 145-166. Jamaica: University of the West Indies Press.
- Simmons, A. & Plaza D. 2006. "The Caribbean Community in Canada: Transnational Connections and Transformation" in Wong, Lloyd & Vic Satzewich, Negotiating Borders and Belonging: Transnational Identities and Practices in Canada. University of British Columbia Press pp 130-149.
- Plaza D. 2004. "Disaggregating the Indo and African-Caribbean Migration and Settlement Experience in Canada." Canadian Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Studies. Vol. 29, No. 57-58, pp. 241-266.
- Plaza D. 2004. "Caribbean Migration to Canada: Mobility and Opportunity 1900-2001" In Sandra Courtman (ed) Beyond the Blood, The Beach and the Banana: New Perspectives in Caribbean Studies. Ian Randal Publisher.
- Robert Thompson, Kurt, Peters & Dwaine Plaza 2004. "Learning through Listening: Applying an Action Learning Model to a Cross-Cultural Field Study Experience in Native America," International Journal of Intercultural Relations. Vol. 28, No. 2 pp 165-180.
- Plaza D. & Kathleen Stanley. 2002. "Camaraderie and Hierarchy in College Football: A Content Analysis of Team Photographs." Sociology of Sport On Line. Volume 5, No. 2. Special Issue, November/December. http://physed.otago.ac.nz/sosol/v5i2/v5i2.html
- Plaza D. 2000. "In Pursuit of the Mobility Dream: Second Generation British/Caribbeans Returning to Jamaica and Barbados," Journal of Eastern Caribbean Studies, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp 135-160.
- Plaza D. & Kathleen Stanley, 2002. "No Passport Required: An Action Learning Approach to Teaching About Globalization". The Journal of Teaching Sociology, Vol. 30 No. 1. pp 110-130.
- Plaza D. 2001. "A Socio-Historic Examination of Caribbean Migration to Canada: Moving to the Beat of Changes in Immigration Policy". Wabaggi Journal of Diaspora Studies, Vol 4, No 1. pp. 39-80.
- Plaza, D. 2001. "Aging in Babylon: Elderly Caribbeans Living in Great Britain". In Harry Goulbourne (ed.) Caribbean Families in Britain and the Transatlantic World, London: Macmillian, The University of Warwick Caribbean Studies Series. pp. 219-231.
- Plaza D. Carl, James & Cliff, Jansen, 2000. "Issues of Race in the Employment Experiences of Caribbean Women in Toronto," Canadian Women Studies Journal, Vol 19, No. 3 pp. 129-134.
- Plaza, D. 2000. "Transnational Grannies: The Changing Family Responsibility of Elderly African Caribbean-born Women Resident in Britain". Social Indicators Research Journal, Vol XI, No7, pp. 180-201.
- Plaza, D. & Alan, Simmons, 1999. "Breaking Through the Glass Ceiling: The Pursuit of University Training Among Afro-Caribbean Migrants and Their Children in Toronto". In the Canadian Journal of Ethnic Studies, Vol XXX, No. 3, pp. 99-120.
- Plaza, D. 1998. "Strategies and Strategizing: The Struggles for Upward Mobility Among University Educated Caribbean-Born Men in Canada". In Mary Chamberlain (ed.) Globalized Identities: New Directions in the Study of Caribbean Migration, London: Routledge, pp. 249-266.
- Plaza, D. and M. Mehta, 1997. "Pornography in cyberspace: An exploration of what's in Usenet". In Sarah. Kiesler (ed.), Culture of the Internet, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp. 53‑67.
- Plaza D. and M. Mehta. 1995. "A Content Analysis of Pornographic Images on the Internet". In J. Shallit and H. Lyons (eds.) Free Speech and Privacy in the Information Age, Waterloo, Ontario: Wilfred Laurier University Press, pp. 246-258.
- Simmons, Alan, Plaza, Dwaine, and Victor Piche. "Migration and Remittances - Haitian and Jamaican Project." Canadian International Development Research Grant.
- 2000 Co-PI (with Carl James). "Product of Canada: Caribbean-Canadians, Family Transnationalism and the Settlement Process". Funded by Centre of Excellence for Research on Immigrants and Settlement ($18,000).
Honors & Awards:
- 2000 Oregon Innovators in Education Award (one of twenty-five recipients state wide) ($2000).
- 1999 Recipient of the College of Liberal Arts Bill Wilkins Annual Faculty Teaching Award ($750).
- 1997 Co-PI (with Clifford Jansen). Upward Mobility Among Second Generation Caribbeans Living in Toronto: A Pilot Study. Funded by Centre of Excellence for Research on Immigrants and Settlement.