- Ph.D. - Sociology, University of California, Berkeley, 1994
- M.A. - Sociology, California State University, Fullerton, 1983
- M.S. - Recreation Administration, California State University, Long Beach, 1979
- B.A. - Sociology, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1976
- Ortiz, Steven M. 2011. “Wives Who Play by the Rules: Working on Emotions in the Sport Marriage.” In Anita Ilta Garey and Karen V. Hansen (Eds.), At the Heart of Work and Family: Engaging the Ideas of Arlie Hochschild, Chapter 9, pp.124-135. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 2010. “Competing With Her Mother-In-Law: The Intersection of Control Management and Emotion Management in Sport Families.” In Norman K. Denzin (Ed.), Studies in Symbolic Interaction, Volume 35, pp.319-344. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 2007. "Breaking Out of Academic Isolation: The Media Odyssey of a Sociologist." American Sociologist 38(3): 223-249.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 2006. "Using Power: An Exploration of Control Work in the Sport Marriage." Sociological Perspectives 49(4): 527-557.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 2005. "The Ethnographic Process of Gender Management: Doing the 'Right' Masculinity with Wives of Professional Athletes." Qualitative Inquiry 11(2): 265-290.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 2004. "Leaving the Private World of Wives of Professional Athletes: A Male Sociologist's Reflections." Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 33(4): 466-487.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 2003. "Muted Masculinity as an Outsider Strategy: Gender Sharing in Ethnographic Work with Wives of Professional Athletes." Symbolic Interaction 26(4): 601-611
- Ortiz, Steven M. 2002. "Constructing Dependency in Coping with Stressful Occupational Events: At What Cost for Wives of Professional Athletes?" Sociology of Sport Online 5(2), November-December.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 2001. "How Interviewing Became Therapy for Wives of Professional Athletes: Learning From a Serendipitous Experience." Qualitative Inquiry 7(2): 192-220.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 1997. "Traveling with the Ball Club: A Code of Conduct for Wives Only." Symbolic Interaction 20(3): 225-249.
- Reprinted in Joan Z. Spade and Catherine G. Valentine (Eds.), The Kaleidoscope of Gender: Prisms, Patterns, and Possibilities. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth-Thomson Learning, 2004.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 1994. "Clinical Typifications by Wives of Professional Athletes: The Field Researcher as Therapist." Clinical Sociology Review 12: 49-69.
- Ortiz, Steven M. 1994. "Shopping for Sociability in the Mall." In Spencer E. Cahill and Lyn H. Lofland (Eds.), Research in Community Sociology: The Community of the Streets, Supplement 1, pp. 183-199. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.