- Ph.D. - Sociology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst 1991
- M.A. - Sociology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst 1987
- B.A. - Sociology, Gordon College, Wenham, Massachusetts 1981
- Work, Family and Cultural Change in Syria
- Religious Traditions, Community and Identity
- Making Do in Damascus: Navigating a Generation of Change in Family and Work. October 2012. Syracuse University Press.
- Evangelical Identity and Gendered Family Life. 2003. Rutgers University Press.
- Older People Giving Care: Helping Family and Community. 1994. Auburn House.
- Defining spiritual growth: Congregations, Community & Connectedness. 2009. Sociology of Religion, 70 (3, Fall):232-61. (Sally K. Gallagher and Chelsea Newton).
- Agency, Resources and Identity: Working Class Women's Experiences in Damascus. 2007. Gender & Society, 21: 227-49.
- Children as Religious Resources: The Role of Children in Social Re-formation of Class, Culture and Religious Identity. 2007. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 46: 169-83.
- Godly Manhood Going Wild?: Changing Ideals of Masculinity Among Conservative Protestants. 2005. Sociology of Religion 66: 135-160 (Sally K. Gallagher and Sabrina L. Wood).
- Where Are the Anti-feminist Evangelicals?: Evangelical Identity, Subcultural Location and Attitudes Toward Feminism. 2004. Gender and Society, 18: 451-72.
- Connections and Constraints: The Effects of Children on Kinkeeping. 2001. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 63 (1): 265-275. (Sally K. Gallagher and Naomi Gerstel).
- Men's Caregiving: Gender and the Contingent Character of Care. 2001. Gender & Society 15 (2): 197-217. (Naomi Gerstel and Sally K. Gallagher).
- Library Travel Grant. Oregon State University. Awarded for follow-up research in Damascus, Syria. 2008.
- Assessing Religious Community in a Postmodern World, The Louisville Institute for the Study of American Religion, General Grants Program. 2003-07.
- Constant H. Jacquet Research Award from the Religious Research Association, "Searching for Tradition: Assessing the Choice of Religious Community" 2002-03
Honors & Awards:
- Oregon State University, College of Liberal Arts, Master Teacher Program. 2003-05; 05-07.
- Research Fellow, Center for the Humanities, Oregon State University. 1997.
- Researcher of the Year Award, College of Liberal Arts, Oregon State University. 1996.
- Fulbright Scholar Award, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, Council for International Exchange of Scholars, United States Information Agency. Serieal Grant for research in Damascus, Syria. 1994.