- Ph.D. - Sociology, Washington State University, 2002
- M.A. - Sociology, Washington State University, 1999
- B.S. - Criminal Justice, Northern Arizona University, 1994
- The Control of Consciousness Alteration--Substance Use, Abuse and Policy
- Race/Ethnic Differences in Substance Use and Problems
- Racial Segregation, Concentrated Disadvantage and Crime
- Immigration, Acculturation and Drug Use
- Recent Immigration and Violence
- Mosher, Clayton and Scott Akins. 2013. Drugs and Drug Policy: The Control of Consciousness Alteration (Second Edition). Sage Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Mosher, Clayton and Scott Akins. 2007. Drugs and Drug Policy: The Control of Consciousness Alteration. Sage Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles:
- Stansfield, Richard, Scott Akins, Rubén Rumbaut and Roger Hammer. Forthcoming. “Assessing the effects of recent immigration on serious property crime in Austin, Texas.” Sociological Perspectives.
- Akins, Scott, Charles Lanfear, Sarah Cline and Clay Mosher. Forthcoming. “Patterns and Correlates of Adult American Indian Substance Use.” Journal of Drug Issues.
- Lanfear, Charles, Scott Akins and Clay Mosher. 2013. “Examining the Relationship of Substance Use and Sexual Orientation.” Deviant Behavior 34: 586-597.
- Mosher, Clayton and Scott Akins. Forthcoming. “From ‘Just Say No!’ to ‘Well, Maybe’ - The War on Drugs & Sensible Alternatives.” In Criminal Justice Policy, Stacy L. Mallicoat and Christine L. Gardiner Eds. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Akins, Scott, Chad L. Smith and Clay Mosher. 2010. “Pathways to Adult Alcohol Use across Race/Ethnic Groups: An application of general strain and social learning theories.” Journal of Drug Issues 40: 321-352.
- Akins, Scott, Rubén Rumbaut and Richard Stansfield. 2009. “Immigration, Economic Disadvantage and Homicide: An analysis of communities in Austin, Texas.” Homicide Studies 13: 307-314
- Akins, Scott. 2009. "Racial Segregation, Economic Disadvantage and Violent Crime." Journal of Ethnicity in Criminal Justice 7: 30-52
- Akins, Scott, Clayton Mosher, Chad L. Smith and Jane Florence Gauthier. 2008. "The Effect of Acculturation on Patterns of Hispanic Substance Use in Washington State." Journal of Drug Issues, 38: 103-118
- Akins, Scott. 2007. "Racial Segregation and Crime." Sociology Compass 1:81-94.
- Akins, Scott. 2003. "Racial Segregation and Property Crime: Examining the mediating effect of police strength." Justice Quarterly 20:675-695.
- Akins, Scott, Clayton Mosher, Thomas Rotolo and Robert Griffin. 2003. "Patterns and Correlates of Substance Use Among American Indians in Washington State." Journal of Drug Issues: 33:45-74.
- Akins, Scott. 2003. Public Alcohol Bans: An assessment of their potential effectiveness for reducing crime and disorder. The New Zealand Police.
- Akins, Scott and Robert Griffin. 2000. "Multiple Birth Rates and Racial Type: A research note regarding r/K theory." Deviant Behavior 21:15-22.
- Akins, Scott. 2007. "The Etiology of Substance Use & Abuse among American Indians in Washington State." OSU Research office Faculty Time Release Grant
- Akins, Scott. 2007. "Evaluation of Linn County Drug Prevention Program." DHHS Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Akins, Scott. 2003. "An Evaluation of Public Alcohol Bans." The New Zealand Police.
- Akins, Scott. 2003. "An Examination of the Causes and Correlates of Substance Use and Abuse." Victoria University Research Fund.
Honors & Awards:
- 2006 Sociology Student Choice Award: Outstanding Mentor
- 2005 Sociology Student Choice Award: Outstanding Professor
- 2001 James F. Short Jr. Research Award
- 2001 Washington State University Sociology Department Outstanding Dissertation Award
- 2001 William R. Wiley Exposition of Scholarship and Research, Social and Administrative Sciences Division.