March 15th, 2010
Have you seen our new webpage yet? Check us out online!
Psychology this week can also be seen online: www.oregonstate.edu/cla/psychology
Monday, March 15, 2010
Welcome to FINALS Week! Good luck on your finals! I hope you’ve had a great term!
The Psychology Department main office is here to assist you with your academic needs such as registering for courses, scheduling advising appointments, etc. Our office hours are 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Please feel free to drop by anytime.
Spring Term registration phase 2 started last week … You can get on waitlists at this time (if there is spots available).
Juniors and Seniors, if you would like to schedule an advising appointment with either Dr. Crowley or Dr. Dilts please drop by or call the Psychology Department main office at 541-737-2311 to schedule an appointment. Freshmen and Sophomores will see Peer Advisors to be sure they are on track and have a current graduation requirements (orange) sheet. If you would like to request a peer advising appointment, please do so via the main office.
NEW! Please note … A Travel Alert for Mexico has been issued. The Travel Alert is from the U.S. State Department and states that all US citizens traveling to Mexico should exercise caution. Travel to some areas along the US border such as the cities of Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana, and Chihuahua City and the states of Durango and Coahuila are to be avoided if possible due to increased violence. For more information go to http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html OR http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/26/u-s-renews-travel-alert-for-mexico/ -- PLEASE BE SAFE THIS SPRING BREAK!
Happenings in Psychology:
· A second March Science Pub Central Oregon takes place March 16 at the Bend McMenamins. Frank Bernieri, Associate Professor in the OSU Department of Psychology, will speak about “First Impressions.” The event takes place at 5:30 p.m. For more information call 541-737-2351.
· Seniors: are you ready for Graduation & Commencement?
Have you applied for graduation?
Have you seen your advisor recently?
Have you reserved your place in the Commencement ceremony online? The deadline to RSVP for Commencement is April 30th (Call 541-737-4331)
Have you ordered your cap & Gown? You can order at http://oregonstate.edu/events/commencement/countdown - or at the OSU Bookstore after April 23rd – to order by phone call 800-595-0357
Commencement Countdown will be held from 10 am to 4 pm April 21-22 in the MU Ballroom
· The Psychology Society will be meeting on Mondays at 5 pm in Moreland 206. Everyone is welcome to attend. Come meet other Psychology Majors!
· The Dept. of Psychology will be offering make-up examination proctoring Monday through Friday 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Spring Term. If you need a proctored exam, please make arrangements with your Professor/Instructor, then schedule the exam in the main office by calling 541-737-2311
Important Dates for Winter & Spring Term:
Winter Term Finals Week:
March 15-19, 2010
Spring Term Classes Begin:
Monday, March 30, 2010
Last Day to Add A Spring Term Class by Web:
Sunday, April 04, 2010
Last Day to Drop a Class via Web:
Friday, April 09, 2010
Last day to Register/Add a Class (with Departmental Approval):
Friday, April 09, 2010
Last Day to Change To or From S/U Grading:
Friday, May 14, 2010
Last Day to Withdraw From A Class:
Friday, May 14, 2010
Memorial Day Holiday:
Monday, May 31, 2010
Spring Term Dead Week:
June 1-4, 2010
Spring Term Finals Week:
June 7-11, 2010
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Upcoming Campus Events:
· Move it Monday with Beaver Strides. Join other students, faculty and staff for group walks around campus and the surrounding neighborhoods during the lunch hour. They meet at noon at Student Health Services (Plageman Building) near the east entrance and walk for approximately 45 minutes. Participate as part of the Power Up Challenge!
· Here’s today’s OSU fact in honor of Women’s History Month: Nettie Spencer was born near Corvallis in 1861 to Oregon pioneer parents. She graduated from Corvallis College in 1882, and spent the next several years teaching and studying at various places in the U.S. and abroad, including Portland, Davenport College (North Carolina), Berlin, Paris, London and India. Spencer ran for election as superintendent of schools for Benton County in 1890, 21 years before women were allowed to vote in Oregon elections. She was narrowly defeated. Spencer returned to Oregon permanently in 1916 and taught at Eugene and Roseburg High Schools. Spencer received a masters degree in sociology from Oregon State in 1928. Spencer was a charter member of the Mazamas, a Portland mountain climbing club, and in 1935 was elected president of the Oregon State Women’s Press Club. Spencer died in Portland in 1953. JoAnne Trow will speak about the history of women at OSU on March 30, from 11:30 to 1 p.m., in La Raza Room, 208 Memorial Union. For more information visit http://oregonstate.edu/wage/celebrating-history-women-osu-dr-jo-anne-trow
· March 16, the Women’s Center is having a program called “Joy Jars” at noon in the Women’s Center. This event is part of the Women’s Mental Health Series. Participants will be making a special jar full of pick me ups and affirmations.
Here are some dates for future terms:
· Spring 2010
o Phase 1: Began Sunday, February 21, 2010
o Phase 2: Began Wednesday, March 10, 2010
· Summer 2010
o Online Registration: Begins Sunday, April 11, 2010
· Fall 2010
o Phase 1: Begins Sunday, May 16, 2010
o Phase 2: Begins Thursday, June 3, 2010
Have a great SPRING BREAK!!!