March 1st, 2010
Have you seen our new webpage yet? Check us out online!
Psychology this week can also be seen online: www.oregonstate.edu/cla/psychology
Monday, March 01, 2010
Welcome to Week 9!
The Psychology Department main office is here to assist you with your academic needs such as registering for courses, scheduling advising appointments, etc. Our office hours are 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Please feel free to drop by anytime.
Spring Term registration started last week … You can check your registration status either in Student Online Services or here … http://catalog.oregonstate.edu/ChapterDetail.aspx?key=374#Section3696
Juniors and Seniors, if you would like to schedule an advising appointment with either Dr. Crowley or Dr. Dilts please drop by or call the Psychology Department main office at 541-737-2311 to schedule an appointment. Freshmen and Sophomores will see Peer Advisors to be sure they are on track and have a current graduation requirements (orange) sheet. If you would like to request a peer advising appointment, please do so via the main office.
Happenings in Psychology:
· There are 7 seats left in Dr. Bernieri’s Research Practicum course Spring Term 2010! This Psychological Research Practicum is 3 credits and meets MWF 9:00am-9:50am (Moreland 206) plus a required lab: Thursday at 5 pm. Attendance is mandatory. You must have a departmental override from Dr. Bernieri to register for this course. If you are interested in 400 level PSY course, please see Dr. Bernieri (112 Moreland Hall).
· Psi Chi - New Members Wanted! The OSU chapter of Psi Chi, the international honors society in Psychology, is recruiting new members. If you are a sophomore or junior with at least 14 Psychology credits and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, you are eligible to apply for membership. New members will be inducted Spring term. The application deadline is March 3. Membership applications are available to pick-up and drop-off in the Psychology department office. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
· The Psychology Society will be meeting on Mondays at 5 pm in Moreland 206. Everyone is welcome to attend. Come meet other Psychology Majors!
· The Dept. of Psychology will be offering make-up examination proctoring Monday through Friday 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Winter Term. If you need a proctored exam, please make arrangements with your Professor/Instructor, then schedule the exam in the main office by emailing Psychology@oregonstate.edu or calling 541-737-2311
Important Dates for Winter Term:
March 8-12, 2010
March 15-19, 2010
Upcoming Campus Events:
· The office of Community and Diversity presents the next title in the Voices Project monthly brown bag lunch series on March 3 with “I Am A…” In this film, OSU faculty, students and staff discuss the different ways they identify (i.e. by gender, ethnic group, sexual orientation, political affiliation, race, etc.). They address issues such as what they want people to know about their group; their opinions of others; how they feel about how the media portrays their group and other groups; the triumphs and downfalls of their groups; advice to their groups and their hopes for the future. The screening and discussion will be held from noon – 1 p.m. in the MU Journey Room. Bring your lunch and a friend and enjoy getting to know each other better. Questions or accommodations: 541-737-4381.
· Are you interested in removing the stigma that surrounds mental health? Want to make a difference on campus? Join Active Minds this Wednesday at 6pm in the conference room of the 5th floor of Snell Hall! Snacks will be provided. And mark your calendars for our social night!! We will be bowling on March 10th at 6pm!! Bring a friend!!
· Here’s today’s OSU fact in honor of Women’s History Month: Harriet Forest Moore holds two “firsts” for Oregon State. She was the first graduate to earn a Masters Degree in Education when she completed her MS in Vocational Education in 1924. Thirty-plus years later, in 1961, she was appointed the first University Archivist for Oregon State University, a position she held until her retirement in 1966. JoAnne Trow will speak about the history of women at OSU on March 30, from 11:30 to 1 p.m., in La Raza Room, 208 Memorial Union. For more information visit http://oregonstate.edu/wage/celebrating-history-women-osu-dr-jo-anne-trow
· The Power Up Challenge triathlon will be held March 7 in Dixon Recreation Center. To register, go to www.oregonstate.edu/recsports and fill out a form, which must be dropped off at the Rec Services desk in Dixon by March 4. The forms are also available at the Rec Services desk.
· “Welcoming Diversity: Valuing the Differences Among Us” Workshop. A limited number of openings are available for the 2010-11 sessions March 12. Workshop details and pre-registration information is available on the OSU Campus Coalition Builders website at http://oregonstate.edu/studentaffairs/ccb/ccbcalendar.html. Participation in will serve as a pre-requisite for the “Skill Building to Effectively Interrupt Prejudicial Behaviors” scheduled for April.
· Move it Monday with Beaver Strides. Join other students, faculty and staff for group walks around campus and the surrounding neighborhoods during the lunch hour. They meet at noon at Student Health Services (Plageman Building) near the east entrance and walk for approximately 45 minutes. Participate as part of the Power Up Challenge!
Here are some dates for future terms:
· Spring 2010
o Phase 1: Began Sunday, February 21, 2010
o Phase 2: Begins Wednesday, March 10, 2010
· Summer 2010
o Online Registration: Begins Sunday, April 11, 2010
· Fall 2010
o Phase 1: Begins Sunday, May 16, 2010
o Phase 2: Begins Thursday, June 3, 2010
Have a great week!!!