Price levels and the US economy
Note: For some of the charts, users of Firefox and other non-Internet Explorer web browsers might have to use the “open link target in IE” option or equivalent. I will work to correct this difficulty in the next revision. The “summary pdf” files that contains all subsection charts, located at the end of each sub-section, should operate properly for all browers.
The following graphs reflect final 2012 inflation data. All are in pdf format. All graphs in this set have been assembled into a single pdf file, to facilitate saving and printing.
- National government budget outlays in billions of constant (2012) dollars and as a percent of economy, 1952 to 2012 (showing "fingers and toes sized numbers" as well as billions and trillions)
- Total national government spend (national, state, and local) 1948 to 2011, in percent of economy
- US price levels 1774 to 2012, with 2012 = 100
- US price levels 1774 to 2012 in constant 2012 dollars, logarithmic scale to highlight rate of change
- US price levels 1950 to 2012, with 2012 = 100
- Yearly inflation or deflation rate (CPI-U) 1774 to 2012, in percent (data prior to 1913 are economic historian estimates)
- Yearly inflation or deflation rate (CPI-U) 1915 to 2012, in percent
- US estimated gross domestic product (GDP) and national government revenues in inflation-adjusted (2012) dollars and percent of GDP, 1792-2012
- US estimated gross domestic product (GDP) in current and inflation-adjusted dollars and GDP per capita in constant (2012) dollars, 1792 to 2012
- Trends in national debt held by the public 1948 to 2012, in current and constant (2012) dollars and as percent of econommy
- Change in inflation-adjusted national debt held by the public by presidential term, 1948 to 2012, in percent
- Minimum wage in current and constant (2012) dollars, 1938 through estimated 2013, showing nominal minimum wage required to equal the peak (1968) inflation-adjusted minimum wage
- National defense outlays in billions of current and constant (2012) dollars, 1940 to 2012
- Change in inflation-adjusted national defense spending by presidential term, 1948 to 2012, in percent
- Summary file that contains all the previous files, in the order shown, plus an explanatory first page.
Regarding the size of the US economy, see also Economic History Net