315 Gilkey Hall
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-5303
Phone: (541) 737-9577(541) 737-9577
Fax: (541) 737-2289
Areas of Interest:
- Political theory
- Theories of justice and democracy
- Domestic and global inequality
- Race and ethnicity
- Environmental political theory
- "A Liberal Defense of Black Nationalism." American Political Science Review, vol. 104, no. 3, August 2010, pp. 467-481.
- "Same-Sex Marriage and the Regulation of Language" (with Andrew Stivers). Politics, Philosophy and Economics, vol. 6, no. 2, June 2007, pp.237-53.
- "Reconsidering the Case for Black Reparations." In Reparations: Interdisciplinary Inquiries, ed. Jon Miller and Rahul Kumar. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007: 114-29.
- "'A Lousy Empirical Scientist:' Reconsidering Hume's Racism." In Race and Racism in Modern Philosophy, ed. Andrew Valls. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2005: pp, 127-49.
- "Racial Justice as Transitional Justice." Polity, vol. 36, no. 1, October 2003, pp. 665-83.
- "The Broken Promise of Racial Integration." NOMOS XLIII: Moral and Political Education, ed. Stephen Macedo and Yael Tamir. New York: New York University Press, 2002, pp. 456-74.
- "Can Terrorism Be Justified?" In Ethics in International Affairs: Theories and Cases, ed. Andrew Valls. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2000, pp. 65-79.
- "The Libertarian Case for Affirmative Action." Social Theory and Practice, vol. 25, no. 2, Summer 1999, pp. 299-323.
- "Self-Development and the Liberal State: The Cases of John Stuart Mill and Wilhelm von Humboldt." The Review of Politics, vol. 61, no. 2, Spring 1999, pp. 251-74.