300A Gilkey Hall
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-5303
Phone: (541) 737-6235
Fax: (541) 737-2289
Email: Hua-yu Li
- Columbia University: Ph.D., Political Science, February 1997
- Harvard University: A.M., Regional Studies—East Asia, 1983
- Sophia University (Tokyo, Japan) B.A., Comparative Culture, 1981
Areas of Interest:
- Research Interests
- China’s political economy in the 1950s
- Chinese Communist Party in comparative perspectives
- Soviet impact on China
- Stalinism and Chinese Marxism
- Thomas P. Bernstein and Hua-yu Li, eds., China Learns from the Soviet Union: 1949–Present (Harvard Cold War Studies Book Series, Lexington Book, January 2010). Paperback edition, July 2011.
- Mao and the Economic Stalinization of China: 1948–1953 (Harvard Cold War Studies Book Series, Rowman & Littlefield, February 2006).
Book chapters and articles
- “Instilling Stalinism in Chinese Party Members: Absorbing Stalin’s Short Course,” in Thomas P. Bernstein and Hua-yu Li, eds., China Learns from the Soviet Union, 1949–Present (January 2010).
- “Reactions of Chinese People to the Death of Stalin,” Journal of Cold War Studies, 11, no. 2 (Spring 2009): 70-88.
- “Stalin’s Short Course and China’s Socialist Economic Transformation in the Early 1950s,” Russian History/Histoire Russe 29, no. 2-4 (2002): 357-76.
- “The Political Stalinization of China: The Establishment of One-Party Constitutionalism, 1948–54,” Journal of Cold War Studies 3, no. 2 (Spring 2001): 28-47.