Political Science Program Coordinator
304 Gilkey Hall
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-5303
Phone: (541) 737-6236
Fax: (541) 737-2289
Email: Sarah Henderson
Areas of Interest:
- Russia/Central and Eastern Europe
- Civil Society
- Gender and Postcommunism
- 2000: Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Colorado
Dissertation: "Importing Civil Society: Foreign Aid, Civic Development, and Democratization in Russia"
Nominated for the APSA Gabriel A. Almond Award in Comparative Politics
- 1995: M.A. in Political Science, University of Colorado
- 1993: B.A. in Politics, Oberlin College
External Fellowships, Grants, and Awards
- 2008: National Council for East European and Eurasian Research (NCEEER) Research Grant ($20,000)
- 2004: National Council for East European and Eurasian Research (NCEEER) Research Grant ($20,000)
- 2003: Participant and Contributor, "A Program for Collaborative Public Affairs Education and Research: Oregon State University and Sakhalin State University (Russia)." U.S. Department of State, University Affiliations Program ($249,616)
- 2002: Smith Richardson Foundation Junior Faculty Fellowship ($60,000)
- 2001: American Political Science Association Research Grant ($1000)
- 2000: World Learning Democracy Fellowship (declined)
- 1998: National Security Education Project (NSEP) Graduate International Fellowship ($19,100)
- 1998: Institute of International Education (IIE) Professional Development Fellowship ($6,000)
- 1992: National Endowment for the Humanities Younger Scholars Fellowship ($3,000)
- Sarah L. Henderson, “USAID Support for Civil Society,” in David Lehrer and Anna Korhonen, eds., Western Aid in Post-Communism: Effects and Side Effects (New York: Palgrave, 2011).
- Sarah Henderson, “Civil Society in Russia: State-Society Relations in the Post-Yeltsin Era,” Problems of Post-Communism 58.3 (2011): 11 – 27.
- Sarah L. Henderson and Alana Jeydel, Women and Politics in a Global World (2nd ed) (New York: Oxford University Press, 2010).
- Sarah L. Henderson, "Shaping Civic Advocacy: International and Dometic policies toward Russia's NGO Sector," in Mary Kay Gugerty and Aseem Prakash, eds., Advocacy Organizations and Collective Action (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- Sarah L. Henderson, “Women in a Changing Context,” in Mike Bressler, ed., Understanding Contemporary Russia (Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2009).
- Sarah L. Henderson, “USAID Support for Civil Society,” in David Lehrer and Anna Korhonen, eds., Western Aid in Post-Communism: Effects and Side Effects (New York: Palgrave, 2009).
- Brent Steel, Sarah L. Henderson, and Rebecca L. Warner, “NGOs and the Development of Civil Society in Bulgaria and the U.S.: A Comparative Analysis,” Innovation: The European Journal for Social Science Research 20(2007): 35 - 52.
- Sarah L. Henderson and Alana Jeydel, Participation and Protest: Women and Politics in a Global World (New York: Oxford University Press, 2007).
- Sarah L. Henderson, Building Democracy in Contemporary Russia: Western Support for Grassroots Organizations (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2003).
- Sarah L. Henderson, “Selling Civil Society: Western Aid and the Nongovernmental Organization Sector in Russia,” Comparative Political Studies 8.2(2002): 139 – 167.
- Sarah L. Henderson, “Importing Civil Society: Foreign Aid and the Women’s Movement in Russia,” Demokratizatsiya: The Journal of Post-Soviet Democratization 8.1(2000): 65 - 82.
- 2004: USAID/Russia Democracy Program Assessment. Consultant.
- 1998-1999: Ford Foundation, Moscow, Russia. Consultant.
- 1989-1999: National Democratic Institute for International Affairs, Moscow, Russia.
Assistant to the Director.
- 1998: Eurasia Foundation, Moscow, Russia. Consultant.
- Russian: advanced reading, writing, and speaking
- German: intermediate reading, writing, and speaking
- French: intermediate reading and writing