New Media Communications Minor Requirements
New Media Communications (NMC) focuses on mediated storytelling and the new media technology that makes it possible. This focus within the broader discipline of mediated communications capitalizes on the historic strengths of Oregon State University. NMC takes an innovative approach to the study of mediated communications. New Media Communications is devoted to the study of mediated communications and its impact on culture, technology and society.
Courses in New Media Communications are designed to prepare students for a variety of careers in media and allied fields in which knowledge of and skills in mediated communications are an integral part of professional activity. NMC offers students the opportunity to pursue a range of theoretical and practical courses in media.
An NMC minor will allow students from across campus to complement their chosen field of study with an understanding of mediated communications from a new media perspective. The minor allows students from across campus to better understand how to process information they receive about their chosen field. It also helps them understand how to distribute information about their own work effectively in society. The minor in New Media Communications will assist students in attaining the background necessary for serving in leadership roles in their chosen fields.
Core Requirements (15)
* NMC 101. Introduction to New Media Communications (3)
* NMC 260. New Media Futures (3)
* NMC 320. History of Telecommunications (3)
* NMC 351. Visual Media Communications (3)
* NMC 409. Practicum (1,1,1)
Students must select 5 courses from the following list of electives. Students have the opportunity focus their studies on a particular part of the discipline of new media communications.
* NMC 383. Field Production (4)
* NMC 409. Practicum (1-3) (may be taken for an additional total of 3 credits)
* NMC 421. *Diffusion of Innovations (3)
* NMC 430. Media Theory (3)
* NMC 435. Media Effects (3)
* NMC 437. Mass Media and Society (3)
* NMC 440. Media Management (3)
* NMC 441. Media Entrepreneurship (3)
Total Requirements = 30-31
*=Baccalaureate Core Course
403 Strand Ag Hall
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-6202
Phone:(541) 737-1492 Student Assistant: Amy Ortwein Office Assistant: Betsy Schiller Or contact us by Email
For an advising appt. please call: (541) 737-1492
Please leave a message if you get the machine!
We will contact you quickly!