Publications for Dr. Bryan Tilt
- 2010 Tilt, Bryan. The Struggle for Sustainability in Rural China: Environmental Values and Civil Society. New York: Columbia University Press.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- 2013 Tilt, Bryan and Edwin Schmitt. "The Integrative Dam Assessment Model: Reflections from an Anthropological Perspective." Practicing Anthropology 35(1): 4-7.
- 2013 Tilt, Bryan. "Industrial Pollution and Environmental Health in Rural China: Risk, Uncertainty and Individualization." The China Quarterly 214:283-301.
- 2013 Galipeau, Brendan A., Mark Ingman, and Bryan Tilt. "Dam-Induced Displacement and Agricultural Livelihoods in China's Mekong Basin." Human Ecology 41(3): 437-446.
- 2012 Tilt, Bryan. “Damming China’s Angry River: Vulnerability in a Culturally and Biologically Diverse Watershed.” In B.R. Johnston, L. Hiwasaki, I.J. Klaver, A. Ramos Castillo, and V. Strang, eds., Water, Cultural Diversity, and Global Environmental Change: Emerging Trends, Sustainable Futures? New York: UNESCO International Hydrological Program. Pp. 367-386.
- 2011 Tilt, Bryan. “Local Perceptions of ‘Quality of Life’ in Rural China: Implications for Anthropology and Participatory Development.” Journal of Anthropological Research 67(1): 27-46. [pdf]
- 2011 Tilt, Bryan. “View from the 21st Century: Civil Society and Environment in China.” In Barbara Rose Johnston, ed., Life and Death Matters: Human Rights, Environment, and Social Justice. Second Edition. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press. Pp. 62-76.
- 2010 Tullos, Desiree, Philip H. Brown, Kelly Kibler, Darrin Magee, Bryan Tilt and Aaron T. Wolf. “Perspectives on the Salience and Magnitude of Dam Impacts for Hydro-development Scenarios in China.” Water Alternatives 3(2): 71-90. [pdf]
- 2010, Bryan and Qing Xiao. “Media Coverage of Environmental Pollution in the People’s Republic of China: Responsibility, Cover-up and State Control.” Media, Culture and Society. 32(2):225-245. [pdf]
- 2010, Tilt, Bryan. "Civil Society and the Environment in China." In Barbara Rose Johnston, ed., Life and Death Matters: Human Rights, Environment, and Social Justice. Second Edition. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- 2009 Tilt, Bryan, Yvonne A. Braun and Daming He. “Social Impact Assessment of Large Dams: A Comparison of International Case Studies and Implications for Best Practice.” Journal of Environmental Management 90(Supplement 3): S249-257. [pdf]
- 2009 Brown, Philip H., Darrin Magee, Bryan Tilt, Desiree Tullos and Aaron T. Wolf. “Modeling the Costs and Benefits of Dam Construction from a Multidisciplinary Perspective.” Journal of Environmental Management 90 (Supplement 3): S303-311.
- 2009 Tullos, Desiree, Bryan Tilt and Katherine Reidy-Lierman. “Introduction to the Special Issue: Understanding and Linking the Biophysical, Socioeconomic and Geopolitical Effects of Dams.” Journal of Environmental Management 90 (Supplement 3): S203-207. [pdf]
- 2009 Risien, Julie M. and Bryan Tilt. “A Comparative Study of Community-based Sea Turtle Management in Palau: Key Factors for Successful Implementation.” Conservation and Society 6(3): 225-237.
- 2008 Tilt, Bryan. "Smallholders and the ‘Household Responsibility system': Adapting to Institutional Change in Chinese Agriculture." Human Ecology 36(2): 189-199. [pdf]
- 2007 Tilt, Bryan. "The Political Ecology of Pollution Enforcement in China: A Case from Sichuan's Rural Industrial Sector" The China Quarterly 192: 915-932. [pdf]
- 2007 Tilt, Bryan and Pichu Xiao. "Industry, Pollution, and Environmental Enforcement in Rural China: Implications for Sustainable Development." Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development 36(1-2): 115-143. [pdf]
- 2007 Tilt, Bryan and John A. Young. "Introductory Essay: Development in Contemporary China." Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development 36(1-2): 1-8. [pdf]
- 2007 Li, Yongxiang and Bryan Tilt. "In Search of Solvency: Changing Agricultural Governance in an Ethnic Minority Autonomous Region of Southwest China." International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance, and Ecology 6(6):626-641.
- 2006 Tilt, Bryan. "Perceptions of Risk from Industrial Pollution in China: A Comparison of Occupational Groups." Human Organization 65(2):115-127. [pdf]
- 2006 Sepez, Jennifer, Karma Norman, Amanda Poole and Bryan Tilt. "Fish Scales: Scope, Scale, and Method in Social Science Research on North Pacific and West Coast Fishing Communities." Human Organization 65(3):283-296.