Publications for Dr. Bryan Tilt
- 2015 Tilt, Bryan. Dams and Development in China: The Moral Economy of Water and Power. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 2010 Tilt, Bryan. The Struggle for Sustainability in Rural China: Environmental Values and Civil Society. New York: Columbia University Press.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- 2014 Caplan, Shannon, Bryan Tilt, Gwen Hoheisel, and Tara A. Baugher. "Specialty Crop Growers' Perspectives on Adopting New Technologies." HortTechnology 24(1): 81-87.
- 2013 Tilt, Bryan. "The Politics of Industrial Pollution in Rural China." The Journal of Peasant Studies 40(6): 1147-1164.
- 2013 Tullos, Desiree D., Eric Foster-Moore, Darrin Magee, Bryan Tilt, Aaron T. Wolf, Edwin Schmitt, Francis Gassert and Kelly Kibler. "Biophysical, Socioeconomic, and Geopolitical Vulnerabilities to Hydropower Development on the Nu River, China." Ecology and Society 18(3): 16.
- 2013 Tilt, Bryan and Edwin Schmitt. "The Integrative Dam Assessment Model: Reflections from an Anthropological Perspective." Practicing Anthropology 35(1): 4-7.
- 2013 Tilt, Bryan. "Industrial Pollution and Environmental Health in Rural China: Risk, Uncertainty and Individualization." The China Quarterly 214:283-301.
- 2013 Galipeau, Brendan A., Mark Ingman, and Bryan Tilt. "Dam-Induced Displacement and Agricultural Livelihoods in China's Mekong Basin." Human Ecology 41(3): 437-446.
- 2012 Tilt, Bryan. “Damming China’s Angry River: Vulnerability in a Culturally and Biologically Diverse Watershed.” In B.R. Johnston, L. Hiwasaki, I.J. Klaver, A. Ramos Castillo, and V. Strang, eds., Water, Cultural Diversity, and Global Environmental Change: Emerging Trends, Sustainable Futures? New York: UNESCO International Hydrological Program. Pp. 367-386.
- 2011 Tilt, Bryan. “Local Perceptions of ‘Quality of Life’ in Rural China: Implications for Anthropology and Participatory Development.” Journal of Anthropological Research 67(1): 27-46. [pdf]
- 2011 Tilt, Bryan. “View from the 21st Century: Civil Society and Environment in China.” In Barbara Rose Johnston, ed., Life and Death Matters: Human Rights, Environment, and Social Justice. Second Edition. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press. Pp. 62-76.
- 2010 Tullos, Desiree, Philip H. Brown, Kelly Kibler, Darrin Magee, Bryan Tilt and Aaron T. Wolf. “Perspectives on the Salience and Magnitude of Dam Impacts for Hydro-development Scenarios in China.” Water Alternatives 3(2): 71-90. [pdf]
- 2010, Bryan and Qing Xiao. “Media Coverage of Environmental Pollution in the People’s Republic of China: Responsibility, Cover-up and State Control.” Media, Culture and Society. 32(2):225-245. [pdf]
- 2010, Tilt, Bryan. "Civil Society and the Environment in China." In Barbara Rose Johnston, ed., Life and Death Matters: Human Rights, Environment, and Social Justice. Second Edition. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- 2009 Tilt, Bryan, Yvonne A. Braun and Daming He. “Social Impact Assessment of Large Dams: A Comparison of International Case Studies and Implications for Best Practice.” Journal of Environmental Management 90(Supplement 3): S249-257. [pdf]
- 2009 Brown, Philip H., Darrin Magee, Bryan Tilt, Desiree Tullos and Aaron T. Wolf. “Modeling the Costs and Benefits of Dam Construction from a Multidisciplinary Perspective.” Journal of Environmental Management 90 (Supplement 3): S303-311.
- 2009 Tullos, Desiree, Bryan Tilt and Katherine Reidy-Lierman. “Introduction to the Special Issue: Understanding and Linking the Biophysical, Socioeconomic and Geopolitical Effects of Dams.” Journal of Environmental Management 90 (Supplement 3): S203-207. [pdf]
- 2009 Risien, Julie M. and Bryan Tilt. “A Comparative Study of Community-based Sea Turtle Management in Palau: Key Factors for Successful Implementation.” Conservation and Society 6(3): 225-237.
- 2008 Tilt, Bryan. "Smallholders and the ‘Household Responsibility system': Adapting to Institutional Change in Chinese Agriculture." Human Ecology 36(2): 189-199. [pdf]
- 2007 Tilt, Bryan. "The Political Ecology of Pollution Enforcement in China: A Case from Sichuan's Rural Industrial Sector" The China Quarterly 192: 915-932. [pdf]
- 2007 Tilt, Bryan and Pichu Xiao. "Industry, Pollution, and Environmental Enforcement in Rural China: Implications for Sustainable Development." Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development 36(1-2): 115-143. [pdf]
- 2007 Tilt, Bryan and John A. Young. "Introductory Essay: Development in Contemporary China." Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development 36(1-2): 1-8. [pdf]
- 2007 Li, Yongxiang and Bryan Tilt. "In Search of Solvency: Changing Agricultural Governance in an Ethnic Minority Autonomous Region of Southwest China." International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance, and Ecology 6(6):626-641.
- 2006 Tilt, Bryan. "Perceptions of Risk from Industrial Pollution in China: A Comparison of Occupational Groups." Human Organization 65(2):115-127. [pdf]
- 2006 Sepez, Jennifer, Karma Norman, Amanda Poole and Bryan Tilt. "Fish Scales: Scope, Scale, and Method in Social Science Research on North Pacific and West Coast Fishing Communities." Human Organization 65(3):283-296.