Publications for Dr. Nancy Rosenberger
- In Press Seeking Food Rights: Nation, Difference, and Repression in Uzbekistan. Wadsworth/Cengage Series on Contemporary Social Issues
- 2001 Gambling with Virtue: Japanese Women and Sense of Self in a Changing Nation. Honolulu, HI: University of Hawaii Press.
- 1997 Truk Ethnography, with John Young and Joe Harding. San Francisco, CA: Micronesian Endowment for Historic Preservation and the National Park Service.
- 2009 "The Double Binds of Getting Food among the Poor in Rural Oregon" in Food, Culture and Society, in press.
- 2009 "Global Food Terror in Japan: Risk Perception in Media, Nation and Women" in Ecology of Nutrition and Food,48:4, July-August.
- 2007 Patriotic Appetites and Gnawing Hungers: Food and the Paradox of Nation-building in Uzbekistan, in Ethnos 72(3):339-360.
- 2005 Rural Women and Versions of Modernization in Northeast Japan, in Tradition and Modernity in Northeast Japan, edited by John Traphagan and Christopher Thompson, Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- 2002 Business Anthropology in a Work Subculture: Korean and Japanese Young, Single, Working Women, in The Applied Anthropology Reader, edited by J.H. McDonald, Boston: Allyn and Bacon, pp. 403-413.
Work in Progress
- Resistance as Tension over Time: Japanese Women and the ‘Gauntlet of Choice'
- “The Organic Agriculture Movement in Japan”, Issue on Food Fights: US Food Commodities and Resistance Movements around the World. Food and Foodways, resubmission
- 2005 Review of Final Days by Susan Orpett Long. American Anthropologist.
- 2003 Review of Women on the Verge: Japanese Women, Western Dreams, by Karen Kelsky. The Journal of Japanese Studies.
- 2001 Review of Taming Oblivion: Aging Bodies and the Fear of Senility in Japan, by John Traphagan, and Caring for the Elderly in Japan, by Susan O. Long. The Journal of Japanese Studies 27(2):481.
- 1999 Review of Contemporary Urban Japan: A Sociology of Consumption, by John Clammer, and A Japanese Advertising Agency, by Brian Moeran. The Journal of Japanese Studies 25(1):129.
- 1998 Review of The Gift of Generations: Aging in Japan and the US, Cambridge University Press, 1996. American Anthropologist 100(2):565.
Papers Presented at Conferences
- 2009 Ambivalence and Tension over Time: Japanese Women, Conference on Erotic Justice and New Scripts for Asian Women, University of Hong Kong, May 14-16.
- 2009 Struggles with Identity and Relationships in Consumer Heaven: Organic Agriculture in Japan, Presented at the Society for Applied Anthropology, Santa Fe, March 17-20.
- 2009 Chaired Panel with Joan Gross, Frontier Rural Resiliency in Oregon, Presented at the Society for Applied Anthropology, Santa Fe, March 17-20.
- 2008 US Commodities in Japan and the Organic Agriculture Movement, Presented at the American Anthropological Association, San Francisco, November 19-23.
- 2008 Poison Gyoza in Japan: Media, Risk Perception and the Nation, Presented at Food and Society Conference, New Orleans, June 3-5.
- 2007 Japanese Young Women and the Pursuit of Self." Presented at 3rd Conference on Emerging Adulthood, Tuscon, Arizona, Feb 15-17.
- 2007 Association on the Study of Nationalities, Columbia University, April 14-16.
- 2006 "Challenges in Feeding Ourselves" Presented at Horticulture Seminar Series, Oregon State University, Corvallis, October.
- 2006 "Female, Single and Older-than-Average in Tashkent" Presented at Central Eurasian Studies Society, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, September.
- 2006 "Rural Communities and Food Security," Presented at Rural Studies Initiative Conference, Oregon State University, April.
- 2006 "Food Strategies Amidst Poverty: Low-income People in Rural Oregon," Presented at the Society for Applied Anthropology Conference, Vancouver BC, March.
- 2005 "Low Fertility and Construction of Self in Japan," Presented at the American Anthropological Society, Washington, DC, November 30.
- 2005 Food in Uzbekistan: Images of Plenty and Unity in Challenging Times, Presented at the Central Eurasian Studies Society, Boston, MA, October 1.
- 2005 Discussant for panel on Cultural Identity in Central Asia, Central Eurasian Studies Society, Boston, MA, October 1.
- 2005 Ethnicity and Modernity, Conference on The Modern and Traditional Ethnocultural Processes in Central Asia, Sept 19, Institute of History, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.