Oregon State University

Feature Stories

OSU offers two archeology field schools in 2014.

The fort was commissioned in 1856 and was closed after the Civil War in 1867. The fort monitored traffic in and out of the Grand Ronde Agency of the Oregon Coastal Indian Reservation and kept the secessionist movement in check during the Civil War. The fort was manned by 2 companies of U.S. infantry and dragoons prior to the Civil War. California and Oregon volunteer infantry units occupied the fort during the war.

Contact Info

Copyright ©  2014 Oregon State University
Disclaimer