- Greek Councils
- Chapter Profiles
- Greek Achievement
- Student Resources
- Parent Resources
The purpose of Sigma Kappa is to provide women lifelong opportunities and support for social, intellectual, and spiritual development by bringing women together to positively impact our communities.
We were founded in 1874 in Waterville, Maine by the first five female students at Colby College. We strive daily to uphold the values they put in place more than 135 years ago.
The Upsilon Chapter of Sigma Kappa was founded in 1918, and was originally housed in Waldo Hall, in the heart of OSU’s campus. We moved to our current location in the 1930’s. We are the 8th oldest continually running chapter of Sigma Kappa.
- Susan Eisenhower (Epsilon Epsilon) - President of the Eisenhower Group, Inc. and authored three books, two of which, Breaking Free and Mrs. Ike, have appeared on regional best seller lists. She is also the granddaughter of President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
- Margaret Chase Smith (Alpha) - first female U.S. Senator, first woman to sit in both houses of the United States Congress.
- Sarah Weddington (Zeta Nu) - attorney for Norma McCorvey in Roe v. Wade. First woman elected from Austin to the Texas House of Representatives.
- Margaret Rhea Seddon (Lambda) - mission specialist STS-51-D and STS-40, payload commander STS-58 Took her badge into space.
- Fay Burnett (Sigma) - nutritionist; first nutritionist for Weight Watchers International, writing its first maintenance plan.
- Linda Cross Dowdy (Epsilon Epsilon - University of Georgia) - Managing editor for The Lyons Group, the creator and owner of Barney & Friends.
- Judith Guest (Alpha Mu) - author, (Ordinary People)
- Anna McCune Harper (Lambda) - professional tennis player; was inducted into the California Women Athletes Hall of Fame.
- Angela Stanford (Kappa Eta) - Professional golfer on the LPGA
- Tara Gray (Theta Xi) - Miss Alabama USA 2002.
- Kate Michael (Epsilon Epsilon) - Miss District of Columbia USA 2006
- Maitland Ward (Gamma Theta) - actress; (Boy Meets World, The Bold and the Beautiful, White Chicks)
- Lauren Roman (Theta Zeta) - actress; (All My Children)
- Stevie Keeter (Theta Eta) - Singer, single called "One Last Kiss (Seal the Deal)"
- Anitra Mohl (Epsilon) - Reality T.V. & make-up artist; She appeared on ABC's The Bachelor with Charlie O'Connell and made it to the top five.
- Nadia Underwood (Gamma Kappa) - Contestant on the second season of the reality T.V. show Beauty and the Geek. She and her partner made it to the top four.
Sigma Kappa recognizes five charitable causes for its philanthropies. Recently, the decision was made to combine all Sigma Kappa philanthropies and be nationally recognized as UltraViolet. UltraViolet encompasses Sigma Kappa's five national philanthropies, which can be remembered using the acronym SIGMA:
• Sigma Kappa Foundation, • Inherit the Earth, • Gerontology, • Maine Sea Coast Mission, and • Alzheimer's Disease Research
The Upsilon Chapter also prioritizes making contributions to as many sorority or fraternity-sponsored philanthropy events, whether through active participation or financial donations.