- Ways to be Engaged
- DOT (Do One Thing)
- Alternative Break Service Trips
- Community Values Award
- Voter and Election Engagement
- Bloss Hall Civic Engagement Community
- Clinton Global Initiative University
- Day Trippers
- For Students
- For Community Partners
Bloss Hall Civic Engagement Community
Bloss Hall Civic Engagement Community
Live Together. Serve Together. Grow Together.
Bloss Hall is a themed on-campus residence hall that is supported by the Center for Civic Engagement and University Housing and Dining Services. The goal of this themed housing experience is to bring together like-minded students into one living community to engage, grow, and learn from one another.
The civic engagement theme is evident through various direct and in-direct service projects as well as educational opportunities like documentary showings and open discussions on various social issues. Residents also have access to a direct, live-in contact from the Center for Civic Engagement to easily become engaged in individual service opportunities as they please.
Direct service projects –
- The Center for Civic Engagement assists in arranging at least two (2) group direct service projects per term specifically designed for Bloss Hall volunteers. Examples of these service projects may include (but are not limited to) packing food for distribution at Linn Benton Food Share, volunteering with local public school events, and on-campus litter cleanup groups.
Transportation is provided by OSU Motorpool and Bloss Hall Council.
"Service-to-Go" projects –
- The Center for Civic Engagement and Bloss Hall Council arranges several in-direct service opportunities per term, conveniently located in the Main Lounge of Bloss Hall.
- In-direct service, also known as “service-to-go”, include community service projects that are innovative, fun, and easy to fit into volunteers’ busy schedules. Examples of service-to-go projects may include (but are not limited to) writing letters to troops overseas, creating alphabet books for local HeadStart classrooms, and making pet treats for local humane societies.
- For more information on service-to-go, please visit http://www.handsonw.org/servicetogo.
As a Bloss Hall resident, you will…
- Build meaningful relationships and a new community of civic-minded OSU students
- Learn about and reflect upon the complexity and interconnectedness of social issues and problems
- Develop an increased capacity to work across differences to build communities
- Gain valuable experience for your resume/CV
- Become a part of the larger Linn Benton County community
As a Bloss Hall resident, you will be encouraged to…
- Have an interest in service learning, social justice issues, and/or community engagement
- Attend at least 2 Bloss Hall service projects and/or programs offered each term
- Track service hours with the Center for Civic Engagement online tracking system
- Practice a lifestyle of community engagement and service, committed to bettering their community both on and off campus
Direct service and engagement projects:
- 11/16/2013: Served a meal with Stone Soup during the Benton County Project Connect Event.
- 01/09/2014: Civic Engagement and Social Change workshop hosted by the Center for Civic Engagement
- 01/28/2014: Pizza & Politics- State of the Union viewing party with the ASOSU voter registration campaign.
- 05/12/2014: Assisted the OSU Human Services Resource Center in preparing materials for their Educational Materials Access Week
- 5/22/2014: Worked in the garden at SAGE helping weed, prep, plant and harvest different edibles.
- 11/21/2013: Crafted 39 handmade cards to send to troops overseas.
- 2/11/2014: Created 20 seasonal decorations for Home Life residents.
- 4/15/2014: Crafted 13 seasonal door wreaths to hang on residents' doors.
- 8 total programs: 5 direct, 3 service-to-go
- 58 total volunteers
- 6 community agencies served
- 108 hours of service completed
THANK YOU to our wonderful residents & volunteers!!! See you in the fall!
See more photos in the Bloss Hall Civic Engagement Community album on our Facebook page!