What is LinkedIn?
A social networking tool that allows you to strengthen and extend your network of contacts by exchanging knowledge, ideas and opportunities with a broader network of professionals.
Why Use LinkedIn?
- It gives you the keys to controlling your online identity. Have you Googled yourself? LinkedIn profiles rise to the top of search results, letting you control the first impression people get when searching for you online.
- It allows you to market yourself and create a professional brand.
- It enables you to establish, build, and maintain a professional network.
- It lets you share and gain information about career fields, companies, industry experts, and job leads.
- Employers use LinkedIn to find candidates for their positions.
How to Use LinkedIn?
- Check out six short videos about how to get started with LinkedIn.
- Check out this guide: Finding a Job Using LinkedIn
- Create a complete and specialized profile by entering all your skills and qualifications along with adding a professional photo.
- Grow your network by connecting to friends, family, supervisors, co-workers, classmates, professors, advisors, and others with similar interests or skills; ask them for recommendations on your work.
- Join the Beavers Careers Group and connect with other students, alumni and employers.
- Use status updates to let your connections know you are looking for a job. Post a link to your portfolio on group pages and put yourself out there.
- Post group discussions and engage with others to build connections.
- Ask your connections to introduce you to people in their network from whom you are interested in seeking information.
- Follow and conduct research on companies of interest to you.
- Search the job postings, but before applying, see if you have connections to the company and ask them about the position and any knowledge they can provide like whom to address your cover letter.
Additional LinkedIn Resources:
- Network and Find a Job with LinkedIn - from the Career Services blog
- LinkedIn Strategies: Don't Be Afraid to Show Your Whole Self - Show a complete version of yourself and don't be afraid to let your qualities shine using the Interests field on LinkedIn.
- How to connect with employers via LinkedIn - There are some useful guidelines in this article about to help you use LinkedIn effectively to connect with potential employers.
- Why You Should Use LinkedIn BEFORE Graduation
- Why Just Joining LinkedIn is NOT enough