Once again a big congratulations to the class of 2012! This last Sunday marked OSU’s 143rd commencement ceremony and we had the great opportunity to have Michelle Obama as the commencement speaker. We started out the morning with beautiful sunshine and a light breeze. Over 30,000 friends and family members filled the seats of Reser Stadium all waiting for the ceremony to begin and the students to begin the march into Reser Stadium.
check out our full profile of Oregon State’s graduates this year:
- Of this number, 2,498 are men, 2,481 are women.
- All total they will be receiving 5,236 degrees.
- 4,130 will be receiving the baccalaureate degree.
- 231 will receive two degrees today.
- 12 will receive three degrees today.
- 1 will receive four (4) degrees today.
- 766 will receive Masters Degrees.
- 86 will receive the Doctor of Pharmacy degree.
- 197 will receive the degree of Doctor of Philosophy
- 57 awarded the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in an earlier ceremony.
- 303 graduates earned degrees via distance education in 23 different degree programs.
- 164 of the graduating class are veterans.
The First Lady Michelle Obama received a honorary doctorate in public health for all of her efforts in improving the health of children in the United States. She began by praising OSU for the positive impact is has on the state of Oregon.
You have built one of the most sustainable campuses in America, conducting groundbreaking research from technology to childhood obesity, you are serving others in so many ways
She gave the class of 2012 a 3 things to take away from here speech. “focus on what you have not what your missing, lead a rich life and that is to define success on your own terms, and don’t leave behind any unfinished business with the people you love.”
To watch the video of the First Lady’s entire speech click below:
Enjoy your summer!