OSU Students Spend Spring Break Lending a Helping Hand

March 18th, 2011

ASB group working with the Homeless Garden Project

With spring break fast approaching most students are heading home, taking vacations or simply relaxing for this week-long break. However, a group of OSU students have chosen to spend their break giving back to communities through the Alternative Spring Break (ASB) program. The Community Service Center has planned several trips for this year’s ASB. One trip will be teaming up with a group from University of Oregon to head to the Columbia River Gorge to do environment conservation work. The other group will be heading to Yakima, Washington to do community outreach work with at risk youth.

During my college experience at OSU, I had the opportunity to be involved with this program. I participated in the program for two years and was the ASB Coordinator for my third year. Some of the previous projects have included working with Habitat for Humanity, the Homeless Garden Project and Common Threads Farm. While participating in this program it was amazing to see what can be accomplished when a group of people are able to work collectively towards a goal. As Ardith Feroglia, a student participating in the program this year, states:

ASB trips function to give students a chance to participate in short-term volunteer trips while also providing a change of scenery and pace. These trips are not only a chance to give back to communities, but also to make new friendships – or if you go with already-established friends, make memories together while chipping in toward the greater good (and all at the fraction of the cost of a typical spring break trip).

My experience with the ASB program allowed me to help out a community, gain leadership skills and make lasting friendships. OSU provides a wealth of opportunities for students to get involved outside of the classroom. I encourage current and future students to take part in such opportunities. If you are interested in participating in future ASB projects or other community service events please contact the OSU’s Community Service Center.

-KT