Oregon State University has a reputation for being a very healthy campus.Â Even with that reputation, students are always concerned about gaining the notorious â€œfreshman fifteenâ€? during their first year on campus.Â Iâ€™m here to give a few personal insights on how a new student at OSU can try to avoid that weight gain and maintain a healthy lifestyle in Corvallis.
- Use Dixon Recreation Center!Â You pay for the privilege to use this facility in Student Fees â€“ take advantage of it.Â Dixon offers facilities for swimming, cardio work outs, weightlifting, Â running indoors, racquetball, basketball, volleyball, and indoor rock climbing, to name a few.
- Participate in the health promotion programs offered through Student Health Services.Â Some examples would be the annual Beaver Strides program, Health Coaching, and general medical care.
- Get together with hall mates and friends to join an intramural sports league.Â OSUâ€™s Dixon Recreation Center hosts different leagues and events each term of the academic year.Â Youâ€™re likely for find various options including flag football, racquetball, indoor soccer, water polo, golf, and homerun derbies.
- Make healthy choices!Â The Dining Centers on campus offer a variety food choices that will satisfy anyoneâ€™s appetite.Â Keep an eye on what youâ€™re eating throughout the day and make sure to add some fresh veggies from the salad or steam bar to every meal.
- Take a Physical Activity Course (PAC).Â These classes allow you to get credit for being active and give you a specified block in your scheduled for doing so.Â PAC classes are very popular on campus, so register early!Â Some options that may interest you are yoga, weightlifting, relaxation, snowboarding, rock climbing, and a variety of dance classes.
- Walk or bike everywhere.Â Who needs to drive a car when Corvallis is so walker and biker friendly?Â Whether youâ€™re heading somewhere on or off campus, OSU and its surrounding area has a lot to offer with a variety of restaurants and grocery stores.Â Also, donâ€™t forget about Downtown Corvallis.Â Itâ€™s just a short walk from campus and can be the perfect Sunday morning pick me up!
Most importantly, use the many resources on campus available to students and remember that a little bit of weight gain is normal and nothing to worry about.Â Make sure that you are staying active, maintaining a healthy diet, and getting plenty of sleep every night.