First ever footage of an infant Blue Whale captured

March 6th, 2009

For the first time ever, an infant Blue Whale has been caught on film. The expedition, which included Bruce Mate from the OSU Marine Mammal Institute, was exploring a spot of the coast of Costa Rica called the “Dome”. This footage proves that The Dome is a birthing ground for Blue Whales.

From National Geographic:

March 4, 2009—A baby blue whale (shown with photographer) filmed off Costa Rica may be the first to have been photographed underwater and adds to evidence that a blue whale hot spot in the Pacific Ocean is a birthing ground for the endangered species.

During a January 2008 expedition to the “Dome”—a warm-water region that draws blue whales from hundreds of miles away—the researchers had begun to lose hope of finding a calf. Then two telltale spouts began erupting at the sea surface.

“Oh, tell me that one of them is a small blow, please,” Bruce Mate, of the Marine Mammal Institute at Oregon State University, says in the documentary.

Courtest of National Geographic Magazine

Courtest of National Geographic Magazine

Check out the excellent video:

Thanks to National Geographic for the wonderful content! Congrats to Bruce Mate for the huge find!!

51 Responses to “First ever footage of an infant Blue Whale captured”

1. [...] View original here: First ever footage of an infant Blue Whale captured » OSU … [...]

2. nota idea says:

Wow , a great mammal with a great size. Congratulation to Bruce Mate.

3. A gigantic creature! Kids will love it!

4. It’s amazing too see that there are such a big creatures on our planet.

5. Hoodies says:

Ahhh a baby whale! What is it with babies (human or animal) that makes people go aaahhhh? :) :)

6. Wow! that’s a huge baby. Looks awesome in the video. It’s soooo big, simply awesome.

Congratulations to Bruce for capturing it. Great work.

7. Kreditkarte says:

Wow,

this is awesome. Very nice shots. Next year i make my holiday in Costa Rica!

Greetz

8. Fish says:

This is amazing footage. You can’t help but sit and stare as the baby whale passing in front of the camera.

Great work capturing this for all to see!

9. Chronix says:

It’s really awesome. By the way infant whales are called calf. There is a good list for the names of males, females, babies, and groups of animals in the link below.

10. aufkleber says:

Its a wonderfull video thank you very much for sharing with us. I find it´s horriblethat Japan still captures and kill those wonderfull animals! They should see that video!

11. Host says:

The Shots are really spectacular.
    Bruce Mate Has really hit the Jackpot with those fantastic Shots.
    Well,I Bet Their going to be with him for a Long long Time.
    The OSU Marine Mammal Institute have always produced Extraordinary Talent and needless to Say Bruce Mate Is no Exception.

12. S. Stevenson says:

Breath taking pictures i can feel for “Bruce Mate”

I know how difficult all this is i have spent over 28 years in this field of work here in the united kingdom (england)

I have no other words to describe this but what a moment for him As history is being made here

Well done to all

13. [...] change, just to name a few opportunities. (Speaking of whales, have you had the opportunity to see National Geographic’s footage on the first ever infant Blue Whale? It features OSU’s own Bruce Mate from the OSU Marine Mammal Institute.) .gallery { margin: [...]

14. yes the shots are simply amazing. Well done!

15. great post

thanks.

16. Truly awesome video! The size of that baby blue is impressive. I never knew they grew so fast. Wow! I just love scenes from the underwater world.
    Congratulations to Bruce Mate indeed!

17. Abi says:

That’s really a special moment and takes courage and passion to record that into video

18. Christian says:

Nice Pictures.

19. Whale says:

Its hard to believe that with modern technology and all that man thinks he knows that this is the first time an infant blue whale has been captured. Amazing!

Great post!

20. Man how does it feel to be near with such huge whale face to face deep down in dark water:(

21. Great image. Hard to believe that is only an infant at that size. How much does an adult Blue Whale weigh?

22. Blog SEO says:

I believe the man is animal lover by which he risks his life to be near with such huge whale, is the carnivore? I guess

23. Blog SEO says:

Don’t know about you but as for me it’s very great view when a man and a whale together and make interaction

24. Auspuffteile says:

Wow this looks awesome. The Whale is so big.

25. Fussmatten says:

Thanks for letteing me watch this video: GREAT !

26. Awesome and educative video and I love the whale they’re so human friendly

27. wow …the great blue whale

28. thank you for this super viedeo.

29. Thank you for this incredible footage! I’ve always been fascinated by blue whales.

30. Tribulus says:

Awesome and educative video and I love the whale they’re so human friendly

31. Marcel says:

Woah.. amazing…. whales 4 ever :)

32. Whales are absolutely amazing creatures. Its incredible that the whale in the photo is baby.

33. Eric says:

Wow, amazing shot and glad to hear the blue whales are populating. Better that guy than me swimming with such a large animal!

34. mightyline says:

Great pictures I wish I had the time and money to travel and see some of these animals

35. Frank says:

Bruce these are great shots of the blue whale calf. Simply awesome to see such clear video.

36. Bola says:

that is amazing

37. Untuk Pemula says:

wow…a great video…I really enjoyed it… :D
    it’s really awesome… thanks for this very great Blue whale!!

38. Kurir says:

Excellent Work.
    Congratulation to Bruce Mate!

39. What an incredible find! Great video, I was just awestruck to see one of nature’s greatest creations. Very beautiful!

Thank you so much for this post.

40. Great footage. They are so cute !

41. umkm says:

The creation of God
    Beautiful!

42. Amazing, It’s a pretty infant Blue Whale.

43. [...]
    Bookmarked at BlogBookmark.com > http://oregonstate.edu/admissions/blog/2009/03/06/first-ever-footage-of-an-infant-blue-whale-capturedhttp://dietslowcarb.com – OSU Admissions Blog » Blog Archive » First ever footage of an infant Blue Whale captured … [...]

44. Wow! This footage is absolutely amazing.

45. wind says:

Wow thats amazing, I love NatGeo

46. clarson says:

what wonderful footage. it has always been my biggest dream and goal to see a blue whale calf or adult in it’s natural habitat

47. Teodora says:

Wow, this is so nice video, i love whales :):)Thank you so much for this post.

48. Truly awesome video! The size of that baby blue is impressive. I never knew they grew so fast. Wow! I just love scenes from the underwater world.
    Congratulations to Bruce Mate indeed!