OSU Students Celebrate Chinese New Year

January 29th, 2009

Oregon State University students celebrated the Year of the Ox this week in honor of the Chinese New Year. The OSU Hong Kong Student Association hosted various events and activities in the Memorial Union Ballroom which included calligraphy, red envelope art, fortune telling and more (and yes, there was food!). In the video below, meet OSU student Noemi Wada, Co-President of the Hong Kong Student Association. I had the opportunity to meet with her during the festivites and she talked to me about HKSA and the event. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, Noemi! If any readers would like to contact the HKSA, please find their contact information here.

Also, wait for mark :47 for the Office of Admissions Recruit Team student worker Stanley Yu telling fortunes! I’ll have Stanley write about his thoughts on the event and the new year and have it posted in the near future. Stay tuned.

The Chinese Association of OSU also held festivities earlier in the week for China Night 2009. See more about the events hosted by the Chinese Association of OSU by visiting here. (Any readers have any photos or videos from the event? Leave a comment with a link and I’ll post them here!)

–mko

7 Responses to “OSU Students Celebrate Chinese New Year”

1. Ephricon says:

It’s really cool to see such a great turnout there. OSU should be very proud about how the student body is embracing diversity and various cultures.

2. Tekime says:

Happy Chinese New Year to every chinese in oregon state students. I guess they will miss their family while celebrating their new year in a foreign country. Do they have fire crackers and fireworks display during the celebrations? Chinese love to have fire crackers during their new year as they believe that it will ward off evil spirits and to scare off a demon called “Nian”.

3. PHP says:

I love Chinese New Year – my family celebrates it every year. I enjoy the fireworks, drumming and dragon dancing. Excellent post!

4. WHAT fun! I love Chinese New Year – this video was really interesting, to see the students sharing so much of their culture. We teach our daughter (7) about different holidays around the world – she likes Chinese New Year best (maybe because of the red envelopes?).

5. Croatia says:

@Foraj No they don’t. ;)

I guess it’s cool to participate in a celebration like this because it’s different from the Western culture. This is a great way to get to know with some other tradition, which is, in my opinion, a great thing.

6. HMT says:

Chinese New Year is a fantastic holiday, second only to the Moon Festival. What a great article!

7. grindcore says:

I am of Chinese decent and cannot wait to celebrate this holiday again. Thank you for the wonderful post!