Oregon State University continues its Marine Biology leadership

December 26th, 2008

There has already been a lot written here on the Admissions Blog and other media outlets about Jane Lubchenco’s appointment to direct NOAA in the Obama Administration. Folks in the know here in the GPNW (Great Pacific Northwest) were already aware that OSU’s Marine Biology/Marine Science research, facilities, academic programs and faculty are amongst the finest in the country. Floyd McKay of the Crosscut Blog weighs in with this very complimentary piece:

Oregon State University, where Jane Lubchenko [SIC] is professor of marine biology and zoology and nominee to head the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), is often ranked in the top four marine-science research centers, along with Woods Hole (M.I.T.), Scripps (California), and University of Washington.

Read the rest by clicking the link above…

Recognition in the mainstream of the excellence of these programs is long overdue. It’s nice to see the hard working/brilliant folks over at Marine Biology, Zoology, Fisheries and Wildlife and Oceanic & Atmospheric Sciences get some kudos.

For those of you wanting to be Marine Biologists or specialize in any other sort of life science, you’d have to be crazy to not be checking OSU out. Between the gorgeous setting, great faculty, undergraduate research opportunities and OSU’s leadership on sustainability issues, OSU is a great fit for students interested in the life sciences.

The R/V Wecoma is one of two research vessels based at the OSU HMSC

Until next time!

-jm

8 Responses to “Oregon State University continues its Marine Biology leadership”

1. Taylor M. says:

Hi my name is Taylor M. and I have been looking to be a marine biologist for quite some time now, but im still keeping my options open. Im almost 16 so i still have a while untill college, but i still like to see what colleges i would think would be right for me. Can you give me some input on marine biology here at this school?

Thanks for your time.

2. James says:

@ Taylor:

OSU’s strength in Marine Bio is twofold. First, the faculty is extremely diverse in interests and is excellent. Second, the resources offered at OSU in terms of research facilities (Hatfield Marine Science Center) and academics are fantastic.

Plus, OSU is a pretty cool place:)!

3. Justin says:

Hi my name is Justin L. and I am researching a collage for a school project. I am interested in marine biology and I was checking if this is a nice school! Im only 14 so its a nice project for me to look upon in the future.

4. Jessica says:

Hello, My name is Jessica and I’ve been looking forward to graduating high school so I can continue my future studying to become a Marine Biologist. Marine Biology has been something I have been looking forward to since fifth grade when my librarian got me into it (I am now 16 and a Sophmore). For awhile now, I have been searching for the perfect college, so I hope you can leave me stunned. I am interested, so what are some advantages about your college?

5. Matt says:

@ Taylor and Jessica: OSU is the perfect place to study Marine Biology! OSU is a Sea Grant Institution (the only one in the state of Oregon and one of only 30 nationwide) and as James mentioned, the Hatfield Marine Science Center is a top notch research center for the marine sciences. Also, did you hear Terri Irwin (wife of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin) recently donated $2 million dollars to OSU for humpback whale research?! Search for that story on the blog as well as click some of the links for more details on the marine biology program.

6. Natalie says:

Hiya! I am Natalie, I am very interested in the Marine Biology program here. I was wondering How much does it cost, what classes should I take, and what does my SAT score need to be to get into to this program. Also how many student get excepted into the program a year, and what other classes will I take at the same time? Thanks!

7. Matt says:

@ Natalie. I’m glad you are interested in OSU’s Marine Biology program! You can review the admission requirements at OSU by visiting http://www.oregonstate.edu/admissions. By qualifying for admission to the university, you qualify for admission into the Marine Biology program. You’ll take a variety of classes and walk away with a specialized degree in the marine sciences. Take a look at some of the links.

8. Selina says:

If you are a prospective student interested in Marine Biology, Marine Conservation, Oceanography, and/or Marine Resource Management, check out OSU’s Marine Science Portal at http://www.coas.oregonstate.edu/marineportal/index.html
    OSU is a national leader in these programs, and there are course offerings and research opportunities all over campus. For undergraduates, in addition to the excellent Marine Biology emphasis offered through Biology, the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife offers a Specialization in Marine Fisheries and Wildlife. Both programs include an academic term at the Hatfield Marine Science Center on the coast in Newport.