Recent OSU Grad Gives Thanks

November 27th, 2008

A recent OSU graduate sent a Letter to the Editor of the Daily Barometer (the campus newspaper) and I thought I’d post it here on the blog. Thanks for your message, Sara.

What are you thankful for this holiday season? Feel free share your thoughts in the comment section!

Enjoy your time here, it doesn’t last forever

As we all know, Thursday marks a day for reflection and appreciation. It also marks the rare, once-a-term day off from classes. This Thanksgiving, as you mosey up to the dinner table to dive into that roast turkey (or duck, if you’re as die-hard a Beaver fan as I am), I encourage you not to put those classes at the back of your mind; instead, stop and give thanks for them. That may sound crazy when finals are looming and you’re wondering how to salvage your Bio 101 grade while starting research for the 10-page paper that’s due during Dead Week (which, might I complain, is never actually “dead” at OSU).

As a Class of 2008 alumna, I’m not far enough removed from those days that I can’t sympathize with your stress. I am, however, far enough removed from my OSU days to realize just how incredible my time there actually was. Now I’m out in the real world, starting my career with a notable government agency, owing every bit of my success to the people who taught me and shaped me at OSU. Perhaps that sounds like something out of a recruitment ad, but it’s true. So if you’re lucky enough to be reading this while grabbing a quick lunch at the MU or while waiting for a professor to start his lecture in Milam Hall, do me this favor: calm your stressed-out mind for a moment. Stop and smell the roses (the metaphorical kind, not just the ones being delivered to the football team this weekend). Be thankful for the people, the tools and the abundant opportunities OSU provides you, as someday soon you may be sitting in a cubicle 3,000 miles from Corvallis, wishing you could go back and relive the entire college experience.

Sara Cain
OSU Alumni 2008
Morgantown, WV

P.S. Beat the Ducks!

–mko

4 Responses to “Recent OSU Grad Gives Thanks”

1. Dennis says:

Well put from a transplanted Oregonian.

2. Jordans says:

Really, I am most thankful for the internet as the new medium of media. Television, newspapers, magazines are slowly having a smaller impact on the public and I am enjoying every minute of it!

3. Ryan says:

Ha, I am thankful for much, but this really makes me miss the good ‘ol days. I would trade my real world life to go back to the days at OSU even if it consisted of nothing but “stressed out” exam weeks… lol

4. Annobils says:

I agree with Ryan