Applying to OSU: The Mythbusters Edition

October 16th, 2008

Greetings from Olympia, WA!

One of the reasons I love visiting high schools is that I get to connect with our prospective students in a way that’s not really possible at a college fair. Not only do students get to hear from me about what OSU has to offer but I also hear first hand from students and counselors about the OSU Admissions process.

For the most part, our students have a pretty good handle on applying to OSU. However, there are some misconceptions about the OSU application and admission requirements. I am going to hit on some of the big ones in this post.

Myth: OSU has an early admission deadline of Nov. 1st.

Fact: OSU has one regular scholarship deadline which is February 1st. However, we are a rolling (we work applications and send decisions throughout the admission cycle) admission school which means applying early is to your benefit.

Myth: OSU does “Admission on the Spot” programs.

Fact: We are unable to admit any student “on the spot”. Because we are a holistic admission school with a required essay we must completely review a student’s file to make a decision.

Myth: If I have a 3.0 and a certain test score I am automatically “in”.

Fact: OSU has not auto admission. In general, the 3.0 GPA along with completing the core curriculum and the Insight Resume will put a student in a good position for admission…Again, though, there are no guarantees.

Myth: I can apply through a paper application.

Fact: OSU has no paper application, students may only apply online. If you do not have a computer with internet access, give us a call: 1.800.291.4192 and we will be happy to help you look for a computer with web access at your school or in your community.

That’s all for now! Consider these myths BUSTED!

(Photo courtesy of Discovery Channel)

-jm