Transparent Transistor to be Used in New Solar Panel Technology

June 23rd, 2008

I try to stay away from straight reporting of the news here because you all have The Google and are more than capable of browsing the happenings related to OSU. I just couldn’t resist this one, though. We have talked about the transparent transistor technology that was developed at OSU by College of Engineering researchers and the potential for huge breakthroughs in technology because of it.

There is an interesting blurb on Forbes.com about the transparent transistor technology being licensed to a firm in California, Xtreme Energetics. XE believes that they can use the transparent transistor to make solar panels that are twice as efficient and half the cost of traditional solar panels.

From the Forbes report:

HP (NYSE:HPQ) and Xtreme Energetics (XE), a solar energy system developer based in Livermore, Calif., today announced they have entered into an agreement for the development of a solar energy system designed to generate electricity at twice the efficiency and half the cost of traditional solar panels.

Under the technology collaboration and licensing agreement, HP will license its transparent transistor technology to XE in return for royalty payments.

The transparent transistor technology that will be used in XE’s solar energy device was co-developed by HP and Oregon State University.

For those of you who weren’t aware, HP has a large campus here in Corvallis:

View Larger Map

Pretty awesome stuff! Leave your questions and comments below.

-jm

15 Responses to “Transparent Transistor to be Used in New Solar Panel Technology”

1. I’m hopeful that there will be many more breakthroughs in this technology in the near future.

2. Roger Ritchie says:

I thought that OSU had the patent rights, NO? At least that was what I read in the first story I saw.

Roger

3. James says:

Thanks for your comment, Roger.

OSU does own the patent to the technology…The right to develop products with the technology was licensed to Hewlett Packard. HP has access to product development expertise and personnel that OSU does not so it makes sense to have them doing the ground work. Clear as mud?

-jm

4. Steve says:

I understand the benefits of this breakthrough it terms of efficiency and cost reduction. But, can we expect these future breakthroughs to make the current one obsolete int the near future. In other words, should we temper our any near term excitement with patience for what will come next.

5. I do believe that OSU has the patent rights and I think we can let our excitement out of the bag.

6. bennieb says:

HI, in the present world approximately we are using 500 quadrillion British thermal units (Btu) of electricity per day. And we are spending 30% of our income towards our monthly electricity bill. According to my view every individual family can generate power by building our own solar panels. Yes, we can build our cool new solar panel at affordable cost, by following the simple and very effective book as well as video guidance of ‘How to make a solar panel’ available at http://www.make-solar-panels.org/. In this link we can analyze some brawny information and cool projects to build the solar panels. Let us use the solar power and make the world green and cool.

7. I just read another facinating article on Ray Kurzweil’s site. It went on to say that a Japanese company Nanosolar has opened an automated facility for manufacturing its solar panels, and says power plants made using these panels could produce electricity at five to six cents per kilowatt hour — near the cost of electricity from coal and significantly less than most solar power, which costs about 18 to 22 cents per kilowatt hour.

The panels are made by printing a semiconductor material called CIGS (copper, indium, gallium, and selenium) on aluminum foil. Wouldn’t these be amazing breakthroughs.

8. Ariana says:

Thanks. I liked this.

9. Jakob says:

I hope somebody can help me out here. I’m about to build and install solar panels in my own home myself. Therefore I’ve read quite a lot about the subject online.

I’ve just read about “thin film” solar panels being much faster and cost-efficient to produce than the traditional bulk silicon solar cells.

From: http://www.solarpanelmanual.com/advantages-of-thin-solar-panel-film.php

“Thin-film solar panels are relatively new, and yet they are a very promising invention (named one of the Best Inventions of 2008 in TIME magazine). These new materials are potentially going to be much faster and cost-efficient to produce than the traditional bulk silicon (crystalline silicon, wafer silicon) solar cells. High speed printing (roll-to-roll) of polymer solar materials may potentially produce the same amount of material in one hour as the amount of traditional crystalline silicon cells produced in one year.”

I’m totally confused. Is thin film solar cells the same as transparent transistors? Or is this article describing a brand new and even better solution?

Thanks,
    Jakob

10. Awesome article, we have to begin looking at solar energy as the answer to the earths environmental disaster, after all it makes perfect sense its already exists, is green and renewabel

11. Dave Carey says:

wow very good knowledge for me i will try to living off grid.
    very very thanks

12. Joey says:

This is some info! Didn’t know about all these stuff till now. Thanks for posting it.

13. Your post is definitely a breath of fresh air when compared to the usual rubbish I read on solar panel technology. There’s a lot of frauds out there. Thank you for helping me out.

14. Good Morning, Thanks for the brilliant article, I dont usually leave remarks but your post inspired me!! I just had a look at one of those Apple Ipads and they look nice, although the screen is huge I like it. I can see a lots of them needing support when the screen breaks :) Keep up the great work and look forward to more posts

15. So I assume this new transparent transistor panel is going to be around the 18-30% efficiency range. Umbeleivable. Im going to research this straight way. I have never seen this published anyway before. Thanks for sharing!