Firefox 3 Download Record

June 19th, 2008

Big week for the Mozilla/Firefox group who appear to have set a Guinness World Record for most software downloads in a 24 hour period.

Excerpted from the BBC:

In the first 24 hours the web browser was available the software was downloaded more than eight million times, says its creator Mozilla.

Statistics from the download servers are being scrutinised to produce an official figure that will be passed to the Guinness World Record organisation.

This is a huge deal around here as Oregon State University’s Open Source Lab is a major North American download site and development hub for open source software. In fact, The OSUOSL will be certifying the download count according to the BBC.

Logs from the download servers have been handed to the Open Source Labs at Oregon State University for auditing. The scrutiny will ensure duplicate and unfinished downloads are not counted. The verification process could take a week to complete.

If you would like to download Firefox 3, UPDATE: Mozilla is now at FF 3.5, click the new button now!

Spread Firefox Affiliate Button

I HIGHLY recommend it!

-jm

61 Responses to “Firefox 3 Download Record”

1. Dennis says:

We use and love FF! The best and the fastest Browser

2. Werbetechnik says:

Firefox is my favorite browser.
    i just love it.

3. FF is now 5 years old and we use the browser with a lot of great add-ons for 3 years without any problems. This is very helpful. Cool Browser!

4. i am also using the firefox 3.0 and I have to say it works very well!

5. So Google helped growing Firefoxfor overlocking the IE, now they´re trying getting this power back for their chrome. It will be excting which role Chrome will take!

6. I think it don’t takes very long then nobody will use the IE

7. Warn Winch says:

I’ve download it, and I think that’s more faster than IE.. Thanks for this nice article, Can’t wait for your next useful post

8. Fitness says:

we are also using FireFox, the url search is just genious.

9. samuel says:

i agree that firefox is the faster browser but at the moment ie is more omnipotent and need lesser pimping with modules

10. I use Firefox, I think it is the best.

11. Firefox is by far the best web browser ever.

Bryan