Response to Comment: Bridge to Success

May 19th, 2008

We received a lengthy comment from Chamroeun Lim on our first post describing the Bridge to Success Program.

I don’t have much in the way of facts, except what I’ve observed with individual awards.
I’m comparing awards for freshmen during 2007-08 with incoming freshmen for 2008-09…

So what’s missing? The combined total in Supplemental Tuition Grants and Supplemental
Educational Opportunity Grants of $2100. Where did these grants go? That’s the
pertinent question to ask.

Here’s one possibility I’ve been speculating on: a student is eligible for a $400 Pell
Grant and no Oregon Opporunity Grant, which means they need an additional $5723 in OSU
based grants to cover tuition and fees. Is that where it all went? It’s possible.
Which essentially means they’ve sacrificed the very high need students, students whose
family income is under $25,000, to the students whose eligibility for Pell is borderline.

Because of the length of the comment, I had to parse it into highlights. You can read the rest of his comment and analysis below the original post.

In order to be as precise as possible I asked Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships, Emilio Vejil, to write the response:

The financial aid application process is a yearly application process and there are many factors that impact a student’s award from year to year. The funding for the various aid programs varies from year to year, the application pool and need levels change, the priority application date may be missed by students, family financial circumstamces change and the awards are never guaranteed from year to year.

The Bridge to Success program allows Oregon residents who are both Pell and Oregon Opportunity Grant eligible to have their basic tuition and fees paid for if these two two programs do not cover this cost. In addition, students who continue to meet the academic and need provisions of the program will continue to receive this tuition funding from year to year.

This program was created to allow more high need students to be assisted with grant assistance to meet their tuition cost since our grant funding is limited. The same amount of campus based funds are being distributed to needy students with an increase in institutional funds allowing more grant funds to assist a larger student population over their undergraduate course of study.

Thanks for your comment, Chamroeun. I hope this clears up some of the confusion for you.

14 Responses to “Response to Comment: Bridge to Success”

1. shonerykon says:

very interesting , jm. good to read

2. beverley marks says:

“Does it make sense for incoming freshmen to take out more than $5,000 in Parent Direct Loan with high interest to come to college without the support of Perkin Loan and Institutional Based Aid?”

This is a new one for me but very good article

3. Chamroeun Lim (Andy) says:

Hopefully this campaign will be as successful as the original article made it sound like it seem to be. I understand that the financial aids office facing many challenging and difficult decision that they have to make every year due to the budget cut by both state and federal.

from my past experiences, there is always new programs and campaign every year to help student, but it end up lead to no where. As one of the many students here at OSU, I rather prefer the true, honest information, than a missed leading fact, and missed leading publicity.

I guess only time can tell whether this Bridge to Success truly work or not, or it will just another trap to attract new students and their parents to apply for parent loan and ford unsubsidized loan, and leave them hanging after their freshmen year. I don’t see any beneficial from this rather a wast of time and resources.

With all due respect,

Chamroeun Lim
    University Honor College Senator
    College of Business Student Ambassador
    Student of Color Representative

@ Andy,

Thanks again for commenting. While I appreciate your frustration that full debt free financial aid isn’t available for everyone (trust me, I’ll be paying off school for a good long while) the things we do financial aid wise aren’t “traps” to get more students to enroll. OSU has seen the most consistent enrollment growth over the last 8 or so years of any OUS institution. Check out our most recent Bridge post: http://oregonstate.edu/admissions/blog/2008/09/19/bridge-to-success-program-covering-more-students-than-anticipated/

You’ll see that Bridge to Success is a bigger success than previously indicated.

Best of luck with your studies!

5. SLCialison says:

Interest article and comments.
    Thanks that write it.
    All best, miss SLCialison.

6. snooker cues says:

Great article. It is amazing how much education cost are going up.

7. David says:

Thanks for Sharing, Chamroeun.

8. Very nice article thanks for sharing.

9. Resveratrol says:

– Brett Adams

10. Lisa says:

It is amazing how much education costs. This makes you think if college is as relevant as it is in the past. With the emergence of the internet, information is now more accessible. With the continued rise of college tuition, I believe that in the future the job market will be a skills based market instead of a market driven by college credentials.

11. Vesta Qua says:

Very cool, Very nice resource list.

12. Father replied, I don’t know son, I’m still paying.”

13. Great Blog with interested article.