Native American Student Orgs prepare for Salmon Bake & Pow Wow

May 12th, 2008

This is going to be a busy week of events sponsored by the various Native American student orgs on campus. This Wednesday, the annual Salmon Bake will take place in the MU Quad starting at 12:30 pm. There is a cool article in the GT that features some of our Native American students collecting camas, a bulb that serves as a traditional staple of the Native Peoples in the Pacific Northwest.

After a moment more of working the ground, she pulled out a bulb of camas, a staple of American Indian diets in Oregon before pioneers arrived.

“I think it tastes like a cross between a sweet potato and an onion,� said Lycett, 22, the internal coordinator of Oregon State University’s Native American Longhouse. “It’s different, but I love it.�

Camas Bulbs being collected for the OSU Salmon Bake

This Saturday and Sunday (the 17th and 18th) the OSU Pow Wow will be taking place. The event will be held at McAlexander Field House.

If you are interested in more information about OSU’s Native American Programs, click here.

-jm

4 Responses to “Native American Student Orgs prepare for Salmon Bake & Pow Wow”

1. JenniferZ says:

OSU has some of the most interesting “Stuff”! I love it. As a real estate broker, my job isn’t just working with homes for sale in Portland Oregon. Many times I work with people new to Oregon. This site has lots of interesting information and things to explore that I often pass on to clients.

2. James says:

Glad to hear it, Jennifer!

Thanks for reading and commenting.

3. Darryl says:

I would be interested in hearing how this powwow went and when the 2009 will be announced.

4. Homes says:

I was born and raised in Portland Oregon however I don’t call it home any more; most of my family is still living in Oregon though. The history and culture of the Native Americans known as the Klamath Tribe Get their name from the fact their main seats were on the Upper Klamath Lake. The Modoc were always peaceful to whites and in 1864 the Eukshikni (people of the lake) joined the Modoc and settled on the Klamath Reservation.