Barack Obama Visits Corvallis

March 26th, 2008

I got a text message from Alex Beck who works in the Admissions Office last Friday night…”Barack Obama is at American Dream Downtown right now!” Not wanting to miss the opportunity to see a presidential candidate in town I jumped into the car and raced down to “The Dream”. Sure enough…I was greeted by a caravan of buses and police cars blocking off 2nd street.

After waiting for about fifteen minutes Senator Obama emerged from American Dream to applause and cheers. After shaking hands around the entrance he pushed his way towards the group I was standing in a little further down the street. I had the opportunity to take a couple great shots.

Senator Obama shaking hands outside American Dream in Corvallis

Pretty cool of the Obama Campaign to make a stop in Corvallis! That’s all for now, don’t forget to comment.

The Oregon State University Admissions Blog is a synopsis of some of the most prominent coverage of OSU people, events and programs. Inclusion of any item constitutes neither an endorsement nor a critique, but rather is intended only to make the OSU community aware of significant items/events on campus and in the Corvallis community.

-jm

18 Responses to “Barack Obama Visits Corvallis”

1. Dan says:

Great pictures again James!

dc

2. Asia'h Epperson says:

He look tired, seem like the compaign is rather taxing.

3. Lennor says:

I’m really surprised that Obama was welcomed in Corvallis. Diversity doesn’t really come to mind when I think Corvallis but maybe there is hope. A middle-aged, woman of color, Corvallis is quite different from many places I’ve visited. Finishing school, I find this welcome encouraging. I don’t believe he looks tired at all…he’s not wearing make-up…I think he’s a “cutie”…I’m looking forward to to hearing what he has to say (on Friday-tv).

4. Eric Stoller says:

I think Barack looks pretty good for a guy who is on such an intense schedule. I’d be in a puddle. Thanks for posting more awesome pictures James! MO and BV have some fierce blogging competition ;-)

5. James says:

Thanks for your comment, Lennor. I am not surprised at all that Senator Obama was welcomed by the Corvallis Community, especially when you consider that he has visited hundreds of towns similar to Corvallis throughout the campaign and experienced warm receptions everywhere he’s been – Corvallis is a part of the well-known to be friendly Northwest.

My general experience as a resident of Corvallis is that this is a welcoming place where we try our best to celebrate our differences. That isn’t to say that we are unlike every other city in America that experiences tension and disagreements. However, one of the aspects of Corvallis that I have always appreciated is the ability to have discourse about our disagreements rather than sweep them under the rug.

Your perception that the welcoming was very warm is absolutely correct. It appeared that Senator Obama very much enjoyed his visit (and his Pizza Margherita:)). We all hope (along with the other candidates) that he will visit again very soon!

6. I’ve only been to Corvallis once(driving a u-haul) so I didn’t get to visit too much of the town, but I’m sure Obama had a very warm welcome. It’s great to see that he is visiting some of the smaller cities in America… ones that he already would have won even if he didn’t visit. This is probably something that Hillary and maybe even McCain wouldn’t have done unless they were for some reason absolutely needing these specific voters’ votes. He’s truly a grassroots kind of politician.

7. Rudy says:

I am not surprised that Sen. Obama was well received in Corvallis. Yes, Corvallis isn’t diverse. But the people there are as liberal as they come. Further, as a former-student athlete, one of my recruiting trips was to OSU. I was treated well.

8. I totally agree – Obama looks good and will serve the country well if he gets the chance to become President. He certainly has impressed many of my friends.

9. ObamaFan says:

Great pictures! I can’t wait until Obama becomes president. Go Obama! And thanks for posting them.

10. Host says:

Really,It must have been an unbelievable experience for the Folks near and around as well as in Corvallis,The Pictures are Great.
    But these were Taken when he was still running for the Post and was not the President then.
    wonder when he’ll visit Corvallis now that he is the President of the United States Of America.

11. Christopher says:

Awesome picks. Whoever took them got some great lookin’ shots.

12. caine says:

Nice smile Mr.Obama!

13. suedeh(seda) says:

wish i was there!!!

14. Anne says:

We hope that Obama will make good progress for America.

15. Sidd says:

Actually, considering that Coach Robinson is his only brother-in-law, it’s surprising that we don’t see more than just a quickie pizza stop.

16. James says:

Just a note, Sidd. Craig Robinson wasn’t OSU’s Basketball Coach at the time of this visit.

-jm

17. Sidd says:

Actually I was thinking more about future appearances — like maybe a Beavers home game at Gill. Nightmare security logistics, I’d imagine. We can always dream.

18. Nice to see Mr.Obama