OSU scientists turning algae into sustainable energy

March 14th, 2008

The scramble to identify useful, sustainable energy sources has taken scientists in many different directions. The latest is all around us: algae.

So your overdue-to-be-cleaned fish tank may be where you get your gasoline in the future…..procrastinators of the world rejoice!

Nod to KVAL-TV for the link.

-bv

19 Responses to “OSU scientists turning algae into sustainable energy”

1. Milan Cole says:

Now if only we could start filling up our cars with seawater.

2. Geld Lenen says:

Hehe, don’t be ironic. But in the Netherlands there is seawater enough. You are more than welcome to come here and load some seawater in your car! :)

3. sam says:

I think the best place to find energy is in space…
    A form of wireless solar energy, from a space station in greater proximity to the sun.

4. Blake says:

Give it time! All scientists need it time, money, and an idea.

5. James says:

I agree with Blake. The kicker is that research on conversion of bio-matter to energy is much less expensive than putting stuff into space.

6. Goji Berries says:

I just think it’s great that so much thought and research is finally going into this sort of thing. It’s only an amount of time before a good solution will be found!

7. I’m really curious wich energy sources will eventually be taken into production. I’ve heard about all these different ones, but it’s all still research (I think).

8. Algae could really be the future energy source. Shell is experimenting with it as we speak.

9. The should apply algae to cars. Just another year and I cant pay my fuel anymore!

10. Dave says:

Great start, I guess soon we will soon see algae selling on gas stations instead of gas!

11. geld lenen says:

Well if there was a reliable source of alternative energy, big oil would allow it anyway.

12. Benzine prices are dropping here, has been 1,60€ it´s 1,20 +- now.

13. The Queensland Government (Australia) have put $AU 200,000 towards developing a new ethanol production plant that will run entirely on algae. Its planned to be at full production by 2013.

14. It would be great to finally find alternative sources.

Hopefully soon!

15. Frank says:

We need to spend more resources on studies such as this to find more bio-fuel sources for the future. Stop spending so much on space.

16. It’s necessary that we create additional awareness for the necessity of Alternative sources. If we don’t we’re just making it that much tougher on future generations.

17. Tom Aikins says:

I’ve eaten plankton before in the form of pills so I guess using algae for energy isn’t thht far-fetched.

18. Bas says:

Good to see world stepping towards a greener planet.
    “So your overdue-to-be-cleaned fish tank may be where you get your gasoline in the future……” – inspiration :)

19. Creative idea. I guess it can be a good alternative energy resource for the future.