Frequently Asked Questions
What is The Work Number?
THE WORK NUMBER® is a service of EquiFax that provides employees with an automated process to handle employment and income verifications. It allows our employees to have their employment and income verified within a matter of minutes. This fast, secure service is used for mortgage applications, reference checks, loan applications, apartment leases, government aid or most other applications that require proof of employment. It is quick, convenient and best of all, it’s easy.
Requested information is printed directly from their Web site at www.theworknumber.com or voiced and/or faxed to verifiers who access the system through an 800 number.
What information is provided?
Employers contract with The Work Number to handle employment verifications, using data from their payroll files that are sent weekly to The work Number. The information allows The Work Number to provide:
- Most recent hire date
- Termination date (if no longer employed)
- Total time with Oregon State University
- Job title
- Rate of Pay
- Gross earnings for current year to date, including base pay, overtime, bonuses, and commissions.
- Gross earnings for last year and tax years past, including base pay, overtime, bonuses, and commissions.
How does it work?
The process of obtaining employment and income information through The Work Number® is easy.
- Oregon State University’s payroll department provides updated employment and income files to The Work Number after each payroll cycle.
- The employee provides the verifier his/her OSU ID Number, our employer code, and employee authorization if the verifier needs income.
- The verifier contacts THE WORK NUMBER® and enters OSU ID Number with a leading zero. The verifier can contact THE WORK NUMBER® via the Internet or 800 phone number.
- The Internet displays the information and the 800 number voices the information. If the verifier accesses the data via the Web site, he/she is able to print a copy of the verification from their desktop. If the verifier accesses data via the 800 number, the caller has the option to enter a fax number when prompted, and the system automatically sends a fax with all of the information.
How does an Employee create a Salary Key?
One form of employee authorization is a Salary Key.
Employee authorization is not required for a Verification of Employment. The Verification of Employment includes job title, total time with company, and start or termination date. The majority of our verifications will be Verifications of Employment, requiring no employee authorization.
To generate a Salary Key, the employee goes to the web site at www.theworknumber.com or dials 1-800-367-2884. The employee will be prompted to enter the employer code and his password. Once logged in, the employee will select the option to create a Salary Key and the system will generate a 6-digit random number. The Salary Key is displayed or voiced to the employee. A Salary Key is valid for a single use. The employee must create a new Salary Key for each verifier as needed, and may have up to three codes active at one time.
How does an Employee get the Password that is required to obtain a Salary Key?
The password is the employees 4 digit birth date MMDD.
Why did we decide to outsource employment verifications?
Currently, the Human Resources department bears the cost of processing employment verifications, including time, labor, fax, and postage charges. Using THE WORK NUMBER® virtually eliminates this processing cost for Oregon State University.
Verifiers pay a fee to obtain employment and income verifications from The Work Number. The practice of paying a fee for employment verification is widely accepted and generally taken from the loan-processing fee that most lending institutions or property managers charge for loan or rental applications. Our employees are not charged any additional fees for this service.
If you receive any questions regarding the fees or services of THE WORK NUMBER®, you must immediately direct callers to THE WORK NUMBER® Client Service Center at 1-800-996-7566. It is not your responsibility to explain the Work Number service to verifiers.
How will this new service be communicated to Employees?
- List Serves
- Mass Mailings
- OSU Today
- My OSU Announcement
What are our responsibilities?
Even though we will communicate these new procedures to every employee, we know that most employees will still have questions about how to obtain employment verification when they need one. Here is what will make THE WORK NUMBER® a success.
- You may begin to use THE WORK NUMBER® immediately.
- Frequently remind employees of these new procedures through newsletter articles, new employee orientation, etc.
- When you receive an employment verification request, forward it to human resources as is current procedure. Human Resources will return the request to the verifier along with instructions on how to use THE WORK NUMBER®. Remember that the verification can be completed instantly with the proper codes, so you are not delaying the process by returning the request.
- If the verifier or the employee has any questions, or needs additional instructions on how to use the system, refer them to THE WORK NUMBER® client service center at 1-800-996-7566. The Client Service Center is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 8 p.m. Central time.
What is a Social Service Verification?
States and agencies may contact THE WORK NUMBER® at www.theworknumber.com or 800-660-3399 to receive automated access to Social Service verifications. These verifications are not voiced but are faxed directly to a registered fax in the agency office.
Examples of State Social Service Programs:
- Food Stamps (or SNAP)
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)
- Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF)
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- Housing Program
State agencies and agency names may vary. State agencies will receive the following information; name, address, YTD earnings and two past year gross earnings totals, Medical / Dental Insurance Status & Carrier, last 12 pay period dates, hours worked, and gross wages.
Do you have any questions?
If you have questions about this system, please call THE WORK NUMBER® client service team at 800-996-7566.