Inside OSU: New Employee Resources
Levels of Orientation
The following programs and processes have been developed or are recommended at the organizational and department level:
The time spent planning your first months on the job will greatly increase your chance for a successful start. Your supervisor's plan should include:
- Communication of high priority objectives and performance expectations.
- Explanation of boundaries, rules, regulations and policies for your unit.
- Reviewing with you the Rules of the Road and Safety Acknowledgement form (.pdf format)
- Introduction of key personnel and functional areas.
- Establishing one-on-one meetings to review progress and address concerns.
- Indentifying coaching, counseling and learning opportunities.
Additionally for classified employees:
- Review with you the Classified New Employee Checklist (.pdf format)
Activities of the Department or College at this level should include:
- Review unit-specific in-processing checklists that might include purchasing proces, signature authority, safety items, etc.
- Assignment of a current employee to assist you with keys, ID cards, benefit forms, human resources forms, etc.
- Provide an internal mentor or support through a "buddy" system.
- Identify campus or college orientation programs to assist you in understanding your position and college.
These orientation programs are strongly encouraged to assure you receive accurate benefits and employee information:
- New Employee Orientation for Staff and Faculty: Offered once monthly, presents new employees with an overview of health and retirement benefits, a "big picture" of OSU, including the organizational structure, its mission and values, the resources and services available to employees, and the terms and conditions of employment. Current Schedule
- Campus Tour: Monday through Friday during the summer we offer guided campus tours at 10 am, 11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm and 3 pm through the office of Admissions. This is geared for students, but is also helpful for employees to take advantage of. Register for an upcoming tour.