Inside OSU: New Employee Resources
Why is Orientation Important?
Orientation is important because it lays a foundation for the new employee’s entire career with the department. First impressions are important since they establish the basis for everything that follows. Without orientation, a new employee sometimes feels uncomfortable in his/her new position and takes longer to reach his/her full potential.
Orientation is important because it:
- Provides the new employee with concise and accurate information to make him/her more comfortable in the job;
- Encourages employee confidence and helps the new employee adapt faster to the job;
- Contributes to a more effective, productive workforce;
- Improves employee retention; and
- Promotes communication between the supervisor and the new employee.